49

"Damn you really meant it when you said she doesn't sleep." Aryia said as I anxiously rocked Mia in the middle of their kitchen. Mia hadn't slept a wink since we got here 5 hours ago. I frowned, "it's especially bad tonight. I don't think she likes the change in scenery." I sighed as Devyn came into the room, "how can we help?" She asked and I just sighed, "you can't..I'm gonna take her outside for a little, maybe that will help. I'm sorry for keeping you guys up." I said and felt the hysterics boiling up. "No don't worry about it." Devyn said as I bit my lip and carried Mia outside.

I bounced her against my shoulder, hoping it would put her to sleep. We didn't really have a crib here so she would just have to sleep in my arms for the night but she refused to even calm down. After 20 more minutes of this I decided to bite the bullet and call Colby. It would only be 1am where he was so he might be awake.

"Hey baby." He whispered after a couple rings. Mia cried out again as I put the phone on speaker so I could set it down. "Has she been fussing for a while?" He asked as tears trickled down my cheeks. "She hasn't slept since the last time we talked. Not even a wink." I said trying to keep my tone even. "I'm gonna FaceTime you hold on." He said and hung up, only to FaceTime me three seconds later.

When my own image showed up on the screen I flinched, I looked absolutely exhausted as tears rolled down my cheeks. Colby's face finally appeared once the connection went through, "oh sweetheart." He whispered with sad eyes as I tried to smile at him. Mia instantly cooed at the sound of his voice and hit my chest with her hands. "Hi princess, are you giving mommy a hard time?" He asked as I turned the phone so she could see him.

As soon as her eyes caught his she smiled and cooed, wiggling happily. I smiled at the sight of it, "I don't think she likes the unfamiliar surroundings. She hasn't really met anyone in the krac house either so she's having a hard time." I said as he made silly faces at her causing her to make noises that resembled a giggle. "I'm so sorry baby, I wish I never went on this trip." He said causing me to frown. "No! It's a good thing that you went on this trip, have you guys caught anything?" I asked trying to change the subject, "yeah actually, it's been pretty insane honestly. We caught the best evidence we have ever gotten." He said as his eyes lit up.

I couldn't help but smile at his excitement, "we were all sitting around doing a seance and a book went flying across the room. Like FLYING. Even Jake believes in all of this stuff now. It was crazy and oh babe! I got my first battle scar from a ghost, look at it." He said and lifted his shirt showing a long scratch on his side. "Oh my god!" I whisper yelled and brought my hand to my mouth, "did you piss it off or something?" I asked and looked down at Mia. She was looking up at me but her eyes were slowly drooping. I kissed her head and hiked her up so she could nuzzle into my neck and shoulder. "I don't think so, it just kind of happened, I think it's pretty cool." He said and I nodded, "if you bring a ghost home with you I swear you're sleeping by the pool." I said with a smirk.

"Don't worry, I won't. We have sage and stuff, we will do it right before we leave for the airport. How is little one doing?" He asked and I looked down to see her finally sleeping soundly in my arms. "I think she missed you." I said quietly as he grinned, "or I just bored her to sleep. You gonna go to bed?" He asked and I shook my head, "Can't. We couldn't bring the crib here so she doesn't really have anywhere safe to sleep. It's almost morning though, I'll survive." I said with a soft smile as he frowned again, "When I get home you're going to sleep for a long ass time, no interruptions, okay?" I nodded, "for that to happen you need to sleep now. When is your flight?" I asked and he chuckled, "7am." He said and I gasped, "thats soon! Okay I'm hanging up, get some sleep. I love you." I said and he smiled the most beautiful smile ever, "I love you too baby girl. I'll pick you up from the krac house as soon as I can." He said and I blew him a kiss before hanging up.

The rest of the night went smoothly, Mia slept in my arms for the rest of the night as I watched videos on my phone quietly. My eyes threatened to close, but I knew that I had to stay awake for Mia's safety.

No, you could lay her on the couch if you wanted to. You're just too scared to sleep. You're too scared to let her go, My subconscious spoke.

Maybe I was a little scared.

Maybe I would be a little scared for a long time. My heart began to race as my mind replayed the night, reminding me of how absolutely terrified I was. I didn't realize how scary it was until right now.

I could have actually died.

I shook my head as I started to hyperventilate, "calm down...calm down." I whispered to myself as I tried to control my shaking. I couldn't wake Mia, she needed to sleep.

"Are you okay?" Kevin said as he came into the room. I didn't realize that it was already 8am, "oh, yeah. I'm okay," I whispered and looked up at him. "You know you can talk to me, Colby might be a real dad but I'm still THE dad." He said and sat next to me, "I'm fine, just exhausted. It's okay though, I'll sleep after Colby comes to get me." I said and smiled softly, thinking about how great it would feel to be in his arms right now. "Okayyyyy" Kevin sang out suspiciously, "if you change your mind you can always come to me." He said and I smiled, "thanks Kev." I whispered then looked down at Mia who was still sleeping.

Everyone eventually woke up and we had breakfast, I was grateful that Kat wanted to bottle feed Mia, because my arms were stiff from holding her all night. Mia also really loved Kat so it was always really cute to see them interacting.

Before we knew it we heard a knock on the front door, and I tried to ignore the fact that it made me jump.

Reggie went to go answer the door to reveal Colby standing there looking as hot as ever. I smiled when he caught my eye, smiling widely at me. I felt almost dizzy walking to him, the fatigue was really starting to get to me. "Hey baby girl." He said quietly and took me into his arms. I just mumbled in response and let my body melt into his.

I finally felt safe.