My sweet buttercup; Eugene Sledge x reader

*Author's note*

Okay so this sweet little idea has been going through my mind for a bit. Now I've really seen a LOT of Eugene fics (and I'm guilty of my first one) where there's a friendship/romance already formed right as WW2 begins and then once Eugene returns it evolves into something else and then BOOM story's over. But I really wanted to get an evolution of all the PRE-WW2 moments with Eugene for this story to really show the friendship.love story that Eugene and you readers go on. So I hope you all love this little fic :)

NOW BE WARNED OF SOME FORBIDDEN LOVE/FAMILY DISOWNMENT in this fic. As well as mentions of PTSD. But overall there is fluff mixed in with angst. But overall I hope you all enjoy this fic as I said before.

______________________________________________________________________________-

*June 14th, 1928*

It was a warm summer day in Mobile, Alabama. In the center of town stood a farmer's market shop run by Sheldon (L/n). Sheldon (L/n) was once part of the 1st Marine division back during the Great War. After the war he settled back home in Mobile to run himself a farm where he was known for growing the brightest, freshest, most delectable apples in the whole state of Alabama.

Why if you asked people where the stores got their apples from, nine times out of ten they would tell you they came from (L/n) farm. Sheldon while having his shell shock moments from the war, still managed to have the American dream.

He married his high school sweetheart Marianne Lewis and they lived a good life together and had a beautiful baby girl they named (y/n) (l/n).

Sadly though, when little (y/n) was just a year old, her mom died of breast cancer. Sheldon was devastated but he tried to keep trudging on by being both hard working man, and loving father to his little girl.

Walking through the town was Dr. Edward Sledge, his wife Mary Frank and their two sons, Edward Jr. Sledge and Eugene Sledge. Eugene was five years old, going on six come the fall.

His bright auburn hair bounced off the summer sun and as they came right towards Sheldon's shop, Edward stopped his family in their tracks.

"Maybe we best find another way around." Suggested Edward warily.

"Edward, it was five years ago, can't you learn to let it go?" Mary Frank told her husband.

"I have, but Sheldon on the other hand.....that man's as stubborn as an ox." It was then Sheldon came out with some crates of food ready to be shipped off to the stores.

As soon as he saw Dr. Sledge, a gruesome scowl came across the farmer's face.

"Just what do you think you are doing here Sledge?!"

"Now Sheldon calm down, we were only passing by."

"If you think I'm gonna do any type of business with you, think again! After what you had done....."

"Sheldon there was nothing my husband could do to help Marianne."

"Mary Frank you keep out of this." Her husband warned her cautiously.

"You best listen to him Mary Anne. This is no concern of yours. Now get yourselves as well as those little monsters of yours away from my shop!" he spat down at the ground in disgust before slamming the door of his shop closed.

"Why does Mr. (L/n) hate us so badly mama?" asked Edward Jr.

"Oh never you mind that Edward. It's just grown up business." Mary Frank assured her eldest son.

"Come along boys, we're gonna head back towards the barbershop and go through the back alley there to get to the fair." The two boys groaned.

"But that'll take longer!" whined Edward Jr.