Seize the night

Cameron POV

1:32am.

I am lying down on a blanket at my usual spot on my small balcony, staring up at the stars. It is a clear, warm night in California. My iPhone is in my hands, and earphones are in, playing my favorite acoustic/indie songs.

I suffer from chronic insomnia. For most people, it would make them miserable but me? I live for the night. My mind feels sharp and I feel limitless at night.

Even though I have to go to school in the morning, I can't bring myself to try and sleep. My mind is racing and I'm thinking about anything and everything.

I'm starting my junior year at high school tomorrow. The first day of school used to fill me with dread but last school year brought along a lot of good changes in my life. I used to cry at night, hoping for friends, praying that I could find at least one person to talk to. One person to hang out with, to tell all of my problems to and listen to theirs. I finally found someone towards the end of my sophomore year.

I had joined the drama club on a whim, an idea I had gotten on a similar night like this one. There I met Matthew, who then introduced me to his best friends; JJ and Shawn. I fit into their group so easily and I wondered why I had never met them before. That one decision changed my entire life, all of a sudden I wasn't dreading going to school. I wasn't lonely on the weekends and I looked forward to summer break so that I could spend it with my friends.

My phone buzzes in my hand, snapping me out of my thoughts. I glance down at it and see that Matt has sent me a text, he's the only one who knows about my insomnia.

Matt: Pick me up tmrw for school?🙏

I smile as I type out a response.

Me:yah, be rdy by 730am.👌

I send the reply and Matt reads it almost immediately but he doesn't respond. I shrug and figure he went back to sleep. My eyes begin to drift closed and I let out a deep breath. I hum softly along with the music and feel completely relaxed. I don't fall asleep but I keep my eyes closed, just enjoying the warm breeze and the music playing in my ears.

3:45am.

I open my eyes and look at the time. It's still pitch black out and my mind begins to wander again. I haven't told any of my friends of my bisexuality. I'm not sure if I even want to tell them. I have known basically since puberty that I am attracted to both girls and guys, but I've never been on a date. I'm a quiet guy and I think that's the biggest contributing factor to my single status. But joining the drama club allowed me to open up more and be less shy. It's still a work in progress.

Over the summer I had taken an interest in my looks. I was never the one to care about how I presented myself to others but this year I actually want to date someone. I started working out, eating healthier, I cut my hair and bought some new clothes. I wonder if it'll make any difference at all but even if it doesn't, I'm happy with the changes I made.

5:30am.

The sky is starting to lighten up and I sigh softly. My eyes drift around looking at my neighborhood. The house next to mine is identical and has a bedroom with a small balcony like mine. It was empty for a while until recently a family moved in, my mom and sister went and introduced themselves but I didn't really want to.

As the sky gets brighter I notice that there's someone lying down on their balcony like me.

That's new.

I squint a bit and I am able to tell that it's a guy, who appears to be similar age as me. I struggle to remember the comments my mom and sister made about our new neighbors but I wasn't really paying attention so I can't remember much.

I feel like a creeper just staring at him like this, but I'm curious as to who he is and why he's lying out here like I am. I can tell he's awake because his legs are moving to some kind of beat.

For some reason he has captured my interest and I resolve to find out who he is.