Chapter 39

I woke up breathing heavily, my eyes wide open. I don't even remember the nightmare I had but I haven't woken up like this in quite awhile. I pull myself out of bed and noticed it was still early. I groan and go to my dresser. I look at the bruise on my arm and notice it was getting better. I decided to wear a white t shirt and some old jeans. I grabbed my clothes and walked to the bathroom. 

      I took my time in the shower. The hot water feeling good all over. My mind began to wonder to Nathan. The night before I stayed with him and helped him put the bruising cream on. 

      "Come on Sang, it's not bad." He said.

      "You look awful! Look at your face." I say pointing to the big bruise on his cheek.

      "Ouch am I really that ugly?" I huffed as I pressed a ice pack onto his cheek.

      "You know what I mean," I said. "I'm worried about you Nathan."

      I let out a sigh as I wrapped my town around me. I remember asking him if he was going to stay home he said would go to school, I then begged him not to go today. I put my clothes on and dried my hair. Deciding to just leave my hair down knowing Gabe would just take out any clips I would wear.

     I went downstairs and made breakfast. I ate quickly and left some food out for my mother and some for Marie. She came downstairs dressed and half asleep as she ate her breakfast. I ran upstairs to brush my teeth and I went to grab my bag as I walked down the stairs, slipping my phone inside a pocket. 

     I was the first kid on the block to be waiting for the bus. Little by little more kids came outside. All of us waiting at a corner of the neighborhood near Kotas home. My father got a notification saying where all the kids would wait for the bus, when my mother found out she was not happy that it would be near a strangers house. 

     I stare at the ground as I felt someones presence next to me.

    "Hi Sang," I hear Kota say.

    "Hello," I say not looking up.

    "Are you angry?" He asks.

     I shook my head, "No, I'm fine." I lie. I was a little angry about the day before. I just wanted to know what the academy was doing to my best friends, I know it's all confidential  but apart of me just wanted to know the truth. "I'm just tired." That part wasn't a lie. My nightmares seemed to be getting worse. I tilted my head up to look at Kota. "No Nathan?" I ask.

     He looked towards Nathans house. "I guess not." I felt a sense of relief.

     "That's good, he didn't look so good yesterday, I'm glad he's resting." Kota turned his head towards me. 

     "Is he okay?" Did he not know?  Or is he pretending not to know?

      "He has bruises and cuts all over," I said in a whisper. "He has a bruise on his cheek, and one of his fingers looked like it was broken." The bus began to round the corner. "You know," I say. "Victor has a weird definition of the word fine."    

    "Sang-" Kota called to me as I walked into the bus, sitting in the first empty seat I stare out the window. I hear people laughing and talking towards the back of the bus. Kota took a seat next to me. "Sang, I'm sorry, but we can't tell you everything that happens." He says to me. "You understand right?"

    "No I get it, I understand." I said looking towards Nathan's house.