Chapter 37

We spent almost thirty minutes in the bus squished against one another. When we drove down our street I felt a sense of relief. I had been starting to sweat and I could swear the boys noticed, but they didn't say anything or just didn't care. The bus stopped in front of Kota's house and opened its doors. I walked out behind Kota and Gabe, last to get off was Marie. She was walking with Danielle and her brother. They both stood back and talked.

     "I'll see you guys later," I whispered to the boys. 

     "Can't you stay  and hang out with us?" Gabe asked.

     "I don't know," I said honestly. "I just might have to negotiate." I said looking over at Marie who was walking up the house slowly.

     "What does that mean?" Kota asked as he pushed his glasses up his nose.

     "Well I-I can't explain it right now." I said as Gabe tilted over to my house.

    "Ignore him Sang, go do what you have to do." I nodded and hurried across the street to catch up with her.

      It felt weird to be alongside my sister. I take a peak at Marie who looked a bit uneasy, I wondered if she had a bad first day.

     "How was your first day?" I ask and she shrugged. I looked over and see Danielle and her brother walk towards their house.  "Is that Danielle?" Marie looked over at me.

    "How do you know that?" Marie asked. I look to the ground.

    "Oh, the boys told me." She shook her head.

    "She told me stuff about those boys," I leaned in and blinked, curious. 

    "Did she?" I tried to sound uninterested. "What'd she say?" Marie sighed.

    "That they're all snobs and loners from some private school, and that one of them broke her heart." Was that boy Nathan? 

      I shook my head, wanting to defend them. "They're a little shy, but they're not snobs. Besides they're nice to me so-" Marie snorted as she went to open the door.

     "Of course they talk to you, your just as awkward as them." She said as she opened the door, walking inside. I stood there and let out a breath. I don't even know why I try to talk to Marie, she was just like our mother, once she has her mind made up about someone- it stuck. Although at the same time I was happy she made friends, despite not being the nicest person. 

      I begin to walk up the stairs to change out of my shirt. I threw the "crop top" into the back of the closet, I never wanted to see that shirt again! I sat on my bed and I kept thinking back to Marie. I just hope Danielle would be nice to Marie. Me and Marie weren't close- at all. But I still worried. I shook my head, reminding myself Marie is almost an adult she can take care of herself.  I look down at my arm and noticed it was still in the process of healing. With a sigh I went to my drawer and put on a white long sleeve.

      I tiptoed down the hallway and notice that Marie's door was opened just a bit. I peeked my head in. Her bed was unmade, curtains closed. Clothes were thrown all around the room. Her backpack was thrown next to her door. Marie was no where in sight.

     I closed her door and walked down the stairs to check in with my mother. Her T.V was on and she was hiding under her covers.

    "Mother are you okay Would you like something to eat?" She sat up a bit.

    "No, now get out, I'm tired." She laid back down as I nodded and left.

     As I closed her bed I felt myself beam. With Marie gone and my mother asleep I could get out for a bit. I knew my father wouldn't be back for hours. I smile and went to grab my book bag.