Chapter 73

Before I could tell Marc to run and hide he was already one step ahead of me. He reached for his travel mug and practically slid into my attic. I quietly closed it behind him. I grab my blanket and wrapped myself in it as I laid down. 

        The door to my room was thrown open as my mother stomped in. "Sang!" She yelled. I pretended to wake up. 

        I let out a fake yawn. "Mother? What's wrong?" 

       She put her hands on her hips as a she stared at me intensely. "Who in the word was that man talking!?"

       I played dumb. "Huh? Man? I don't know what your talking about?" 

       My mother let out a soft and breathy laughed as she continued to stare at me. "Why do you constantly lie to me!? After all I've done for you!?" 

       My eyes widened. "I'm not mother!" 

      "I can tell when you lie!" She pressed her palm to her cheek. "Why do you have to lie to me?" She began to tear up. "That's all you've been doing this week." My heart felt like it was going to stop, was she going to tie me up again? Another lemon and vinegar cocktail?

       Her eyes scanned my room. "Why did you move things around?" She stumbled inside and I felt myself press up against my bed frame.  

       "I'm just trying something different!" I lie as my voice trembled. I couldn't help but feel embarrassed that Marc was listening to all of this. "Are you hungry? I can make you something to eat if you want." 

        She made her way to my bookshelf, her face contorting. "What's all this? What are you hiding from me!?" She grabbed the top shelve and heaved it. My bookshelf slanted back before falling forward a loud crash erupted in my room. The radio cracked between the shelf and floor, the books flew and scattered all over my floor. I felt my shoulders drop at the mess, the only silver lining was that the door to the attic was now half blocked. 

        "Mother please stop!" I cried, I notice that the door to the attic was opening but stopped due to the bookshelf. Was Marc really trying to come and get me? Was he trapped?  Or was he-

        "I know your hiding something Sangrida Sorenson! You move your things around and I hear voices coming from your room, you're lying to me! Now tell me the truth!" I stayed quiet not knowing how to answer her. My mouth opened, but no noise came out. I was out of lies.

        My choice to silent must have angered my mother because she quickly made her way towards me reaching out to grab my wrist roughly. I winced at the pain that rushed up my arm. "you're following me!" She didn't even wait for me to get out of bed before she started to pull me. I had no choice but to follow her out. I was relieved though, I was getting her away from Marc. Marc was safe. 

        I followed my mother out into the hallway and I had no idea where she was taking me. She suddenly turned and begin to go down the steps. I let out a sigh of relief. At least we aren't going into the bathroom...

         We reach downstairs she shoved me towards the ground. As fell to my knees my mother pointed at me. "Stay right here!" She snapped before walking away. I sighed as I sat up. I just want to get this over with. 

          Not even a moment later she came back with a small bag of rice. She reached in and grabbed a handful and poured it near the door. "Kneel!" She hissed at me. 

         I dropped to my knees, I bit my lip as I settled into the rice. It dug deep into my skin. I kept my eyes to the ground not wanting to anger my mother even more then I already have.