Chapter 9

I had a nightmare where no matter how fast I ran a ghost chased me throughout a forest. As I ran from it I got closer and closer to a edge of a cliff. I got closer to the edge and before I could go back the ground crumbled beneath me and I fell.

      I woke up with a gasp, which immediately led to me coughing. Reaching towards the water bottle from nightstand I try to sooth my throat by taking some careful sips. Letting out a sigh I run my fingers through my tangled hair, I've had these nightmares ever since I was just a kid. They came in all horrific forms. When they first began to happen I'd wake up screaming and crying, waiting for someone to come and comfort me, but no one ever came. 

     Looking at the sun beginning to rise I decided to escape once again, although this time was more risky then yesterday. I slip on some old shorts Marie grew out of and a pink shirt my dad bought me from a garage sale, and my old sneakers. I sneaked down the stairs. Of course none was up yet. My dad was probably at work and my mother and Marie slept till noon. I took a breath and left the house in a haste. I started going down a path in the woods. Thinking over about the day before. Was Kota still mad at me? What if Silas tries to call the house again? Would they still want to be friends? What if they found out about my family?

      I shake those thoughts away and look around for something to do, something that could distract me. I spot a big tree, grinning I jumped up as I reached for a branch and I began to climb the tree slowly. I sat back with my feet dangling over the branch I was sitting on. I swallow and decide to test my voice. I tried singing, but instantly stopped. It hurt to sing it hurt to talk. I had no voice.

     I closed my eyes feeling tears flow out, I quickly wipe them away. Be strong Sang.I tell myself. I breath in and out slowly.  I was starting to sleep when I heard deep voices. Not as deep as Silas, but deep enough. I peek my head over to look down at two boys walking down a trail. 

      "Yeah this school gonna suck, but we gotta go." There was an exhale from the other guy. 

       "It wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have other-" The boy who was talking looked up and spotted me and instantly stopped talking.  I felt my face get warm, but couldn't look away from his eyes. The boy with reddish brown hair stops and looks confused. The boy staring at me gave me a small smile.  "Nathan you didn't tell me there were squirrel people in the forest." 

       "What?" The boy looked up and saw me. I gave them a shy wave. "Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, sorry it slipped my mind." I smiled both at them not knowing what to say.

      "Come on down, before you hurt yourself." The man with the brown hair said. I nodded even though I know I wouldn't fall I slowly crawled down the tree, jumping down the last inches. They walked to me. 

      "Hi." I said my voice staying at a whisper level. 

     "Whats wrong with your voice?" the guy named Nathan asked.

     "Um, I had a cold..." I said. Nathans blue eyes stared deep into me as if he didn't believe me. 

      "Oh ok," the man with soft brown hair and heterochromia eyes  said. "I'm Marc."

       "I'm Sang." I shyly introduced myself to the two boys.

       "What are you doing out so early?" Nathan asked. 

       "I just wanted some fresh air." My voice was starting to hurt a little less. "I'll um be going home now."

       "Well let us walk you back." Marc said giving me a friendly smile.  

      "Its okay I don't wanna ruin your walk." It was weird how friendly the people here are. 

      "Its okay Sang." Nathans blue eyes softened. "We were gonna walk back home, so you might as well join us." I smile at the two tall boys.