Chapter 65

I quickly finish the last bite of the yummy sandwich Jessica made me as I stand in my front yard. Nathan was standing on my right side, his hand rested gently on my shoulder and Luke was standing to my right, his hand on holding my hand. I took a big breath in and out. Marc walked from where Axel currently was and stood besides Nathan. 

      "Hey sweetie, are you ready?" Marc asked looking over at me. I nodded. It's now or never. We were told by Axel and Mr. Blackbourne to go check to see if my mother was sleeping and to stabilize her, whatever that means I wasn't 100% sure, but I trusted them.

      We walked to my front door and I opened it slowly.  I popped my head in to listen for any movement in the house. There was none. The house was completely silent, was my mother sleeping or was she passed out?  I stepped inside. I turned and nodded to the guys. I could feel my heart drop as the guys entered the house.

       They began to scan the house. Luke seemed the most comfortable being inside seeing as he has been here before. Marc looked a bit sad looking at the bare walls, I guess he was trying to look for family photos. He was wasting his time. Nathan gave a second glance to the almost bare family room, with a single barely touched couch standing in the middle of the room.  The family room was just like mine, it had just enough and nothing more. 

       Although they were being very careful I couldn't help but feel insanely scared. At any moment my mother could come out of her room and find us. If that were to happen the boys were supposed to scoop me up and carry me out of the house. Each of the boys made it clear to me that if my house wasn't safe anymore I wouldn't be allowed to live here anymore. I understood and agreed. 

      I led them all the way through the kitchen and to the hallway on the other side. I stepped in the spots where I knew it wouldn't creak. I open my mothers door slowly. Luke was standing so close to  me I could smell his vanilla scent. He was close to me I could feel his arm touching mine. Nathan stood by the front door and Marc waited closer to the kitchen. 

      I gathered any strength I had and stepped into my mothers room. I was afraid that she would wake up at any minute. I stand above her and watched her for a moment. She was passed out, snoring loudly. On her bedside table there was a pill bottle tipped over, pills were scattered everywhere making it hard not to step on them. I lean over and read the pill bottle. Morphine pills...

       Now I knew for sure she wouldn't be waking up anytime soon. She looked so peaceful blocking everything out. Despite her best efforts to keep me safe I now had fourteen men dead set on keeping me safe from her. A part of me was angry at her for how she treated me, but the other part felt nothing but pity. 

        I turned to the door and nodded my head.  Luke stepped into the room using the same steps I used to get in. He got closer to the bed. His strong body moved with care as he moved over my body. He tilted his head at her and frowned. His blond hair fell in front of his dark eyes. If my mother woke up right now she'd probably have a heart attack. 

         Luke reached into his back pocket and took out a tiny brown bottle out.  He opened the top and held it towards my mother's nose and mouth. My mother breathed in deeply. Not a second later her snoring softened. I look towards the brown bottle.

        "Okay," Luke said quietly. "That should keep her asleep for a few hours." He closed the bottle back up and put it back in his pocket. 

        "Luke, what is that? Where did you even get that?" I whispered looking up at him. "Do you always carry that kinda stuff with you?"

         He flashed me a smile, the light catching his big brown eyes. "Silly, don't ask those types of questions." I swallowed. None of that was in the least bit helpful, but I'll just put it in with the rest of the  Academy stuff.