Chapter 79

A few hours later I found myself walking back home later than I normally did since my father was away on a business trip. Luke walked home with me and told me he'd meet me in my room. I carefully made my way inside and looked around. As I made my way further in I heard noises coming from the kitchen. 

      I poked my head inside the kitchen and noticed Marie huddled over a pot of macaroni, stirring in the cheese powder with milk and butter. I caught how different Marie looked with makeup, she looked more mature than ever before. Wasn't she worried our mother would catch her like that? If she caught her like that we'd both be kneeling on rice for hours. 

       There was something slightly off about Marie that I couldn't put my finger on. She ignored my presence and I left the kitchen. I really didn't feel like arguing or even talking with Marie. I made my way up the stairs as I quietly could. 

          When I tried to open the door it got caught on something and stopped the door from moving. I kept pushing till I could squeeze myself inside. A pile of clothes laid right in front of the door. When I turned around Luke was already inside, standing near my closet looking inside, his face filled with concern. 

        "Luke? What's wrong?" I ask him, feeling myself becoming anxious. 

         Luke turned towards me and pointed to my closet. "Your clothes...they're gone." He said in a whisper. 

         My eyes widened. "What?" I rushed to my closet. He was right.

         My closet had been emptied out and the rest were thrown around, mainly bras and underwear that were previously piled on the top shelf of the closet. I was filled with utter confusion. 

        Luke was able to help me pick up the clothes and put them into separating the jeans and shirts. It looked like some of the clothes were Marie's, but some of the other clothes were things I've never seen her wear before. As I shuffled through the clothes I quickly noticed that my blouses and skirts were missing. And the shirts the boys have given me were gone too. 

       Luke turned from the clothes to me. "Did...your mom do this?"

       I bit my lip, thinking about it. "No," I tell him. This wasn't something my mother has ever done before and I was used to unusual punishments. My father was the one who bought me and Marie clothes. Marie and I usually sorted what we could fit into.

       Luke's hand found mine and gave it a squeeze. "Then who?"

      I shook my head looking at my clothes. "I don't know...Marie I guess." I said. "But she doesn't even like the clothes I like, they don't even fit her...she's downstairs. I'll just ask." It surprised me, she'll borrow a shirt once and a while, but never did something like this before. 

     Luke nodded. "I'll be in the attic," he tells me. "Let me know what happens, okay?" 

     I nodded at Luke. I made my way back downstairs as much as I wanted to avoid Marie I wanted to know what was going on. Marie sat on the counter, gently swinging her legs as she ate from a bowl of macaroni and cheese. I noticed that she was wearing a shirt and a pair of jeans I've never seen before. The t-shirt was a soft green and cropped, looking to small on her frame and the jeans looked tight.

      "Marie, where are my clothes?" I ask. "Whose clothes are in my room?" 

      "I traded you," She huffed. "You can just wear the stuff I left you." 

      "You can't just trade clothes, if I don't want yours, they won't even fit me! Where are mine?" 

      "You have to trade, it's not even your clothes, its ours, besides mo-"