Chapter 30

I woke up in a cold sweat I had a nightmare, but I couldn't remember what it was. I turned to check the time. I woke up an hour before I actually had to. I hopped out of bed and decide to take a quick shower. 

   I quietly walked to my bathroom and turned the lights on. I undressed and placed my clothes on the counter. I jumped in and took time to wash every part of my body. I look at my arm and notice the bruise which was light purple. I groan as I gently rub it. I wondered if North had told the others or if this would stay between just the two of us. 

   Turning the shower faucet off I stepped out feeling refreshed. I wrapped my old pink towel around me. I grabbed my pjs and hurried back to my room. I went through my closet trying to find something nice that still fit. I pulled out a old pair of light blue jeans and a pink long sleeve to cover up my bruise. I put the top on and noticed it was a bit to tight, showing a bit of my stomach. I shook my head, it should be fine, no one is going to care Sang. It's okay.

   I dry my hair and brushed it. Twisting my hair and clipped it. I grabbed my beige sandals and put them on. I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. I poured myself a glass of orange juice, but I couldn't bring myself to actually eat anything. I felt so nervous about everything that was going on that I didn't want to risk a chance of getting an upset stomach, especially not on the first day of school. 

   I notice that it was almost time for the bus to come. I gulp down the rest of the juice and bounced up the stairs. I picked up my old book bag  that had everything I needed. Before I left I looked at the jacket Brandon gave me and debated to take it with me or not. I decided not to, I didn't want it to get ruined.

    I walk outside and see Marie waiting for the bus at the end of our driveway. She was wearing jeans and a tight dark blue shirt. She eyed me, but didn't say anything.

   "Are you excited Marie?" I ask trying to break the awkward silence. 

    Marie shrugged. "Hey, do me a favor and let's pretend we're not related." She took a side step away from me. I blinked.

    "But we are related, we're sisters." She narrowed her eyes at me. 

    "We aren't sisters in school, got it?" She turned to face forward. I felt a bit sad and confused. What's wrong with me? Why doesn't she want to be my sister?

     I wrapped my fingers around my book bag strap and look up to Kota's house. He stood alone in his driveway. We made eye contact and he gave me a small wave and I gave one back. I glanced over at Nathans house and he was no where in sight. I hope he wouldn't miss the bus. 

    The  bus turned the corner and made it's way down the street.  It stopped in front of our house. Marie got on first and I followed right behind her. The bus was mostly empty and I took the first seat I found. The seats were ripped and had all kinds of graffiti on them. A few other kids got on and sat towards the middle. Marie I noticed went to the way back. Kota got on next and smiled as he saw me. 

    "Good morning Sang." He said as he sat next to me. A warm feeling filled my chest. I'm so happy he wasn't embarrassed to be seen with me. Kota was wearing a white collared shirt with a blue tie and tan slacks.

   "Hi Kota, I like your clothes." I say giving him a smile. He seemed to blush at this.

   "Thanks Sang, you're looking really good too." He said. I look at the window and back at Kota.

   "Is Nathan coming to school with us?" Kota's smile softened and he nodded.

   "He should be here." He looked out the window. "Oh there he is." I look out and see Nathan running out of his house holding his backpack in his hand with a piece of toast in his mouth. He ran towards the bus and got in. He wore a red shirt and a pair of dark blue jeans. He sat in the seat near us on the other side of the isle.