Chapter 78

Micah led the way. I looked up to Nathan wondering if this was a good idea. He hesitated, but Gabe and Luke were already following behind Tom and Derrick into the woods. The rest of us began to follow. Brandon was ahead of Jessica and I while Nathan followed behind us.  We walked in a straight line because it was the only way to make it through. The woods were thick and the way we were going had no real path. The underbrush scratched at my legs. The heat and humidity was becoming a bit too much for me. How do Southerns deal with this?

       Micah would wound his way through trees with Derrick occasionally pointing in a direction. "Will you stop telling me where to go?" Micah huffed. "It'll be quicker if we just go in a straight line." 

       "Just cut through here." Derrick said pointing to a break in the trees. "I want to check it out."

       I stopped really paying attention and started to admire the flora around us. The branches of the tall trees branched out, the leaves blocking the harsh sunlight. The roots of the trees were twisting about in the ground. The weeds, grass and wildflowers fought each other for dominance of the forest floor. Moss covered the trees. I took a deep breath in and out. 

       My legs were so itchy. I lifted it up to give it a scratch. Was I being bit by mosquitoes? Nathan stopped. 

       "Are you okay?" Nathan asked as he watched me scratch myself.

       "Yeah, just a bug bite." I explain. I just couldn't stop myself from scratching, feeling the same itchy feeling on my other leg. "Remind me to spray for bugs next time we do this." I tried to ignore the itchy feeling not wanting Nathan to worry.

       "Welcome to the south." Nathan joked. "The bugs out here are ruthless."

       As soon as Nathan said this Jessica stopped admiring the trees around us. She turned to me with wide eyes. She looked around our feet. 

      "Jessica?" Nathan called out to her. She looked up and to the others.

      "Guys stop!" She shouted."Quit moving!" Brandon stopped as soon as she said this.

      "Is everything okay?" Brandon asked. 

      "She's probably gonna show us some stupid flower or something." Micah said. "Who cares?"

       Jessica scrunched up her nose. "Fine then! Keep walking in stinging nettle, see if I care!" We all froze, looking down at where we were walking.

        "Wh-what's stinging nettle?" I ask looking to her for help. Jessica gestured to the ground.

        "It's the plants." She explained, she carefully looked around us. "If you touch them, it'll sting your skin." 

        I look down and notice some prickly plants sticking out. How do Southerns deal with this!?

       "You should be okay if you're wearing pants. Sorry Sang, but you've already got stung."  She was right, my legs were all red and splotchy. I could have mistaken the little bumps for hundreds of tiny baby mosquito bites. My legs were itching like crazy. 

       "W-what do we do?" I ask, I just wanted this feeling in my legs to go away. 

       Nathan stepped forward turning around and crouched. "Get on and let's get out of here." Jessica stepped forward and jumped on his back. 

        "Thank you Nathan!" Nathan turned his head slightly.

         "Jessica I didn't mean yo-"