Chapter 77

After school I rode the bus home with Luke, Gabe, and Nathan, the others were busy with either the Academy or with after school activities. Nathan had told me to check in at home, Luke was supposed to be my shadow while I did so. If everything was good to go we were going to spend the rest of our free time at Nathan's house. 

        I walk behind Marie as we walked to our house, the hot weather made the jacket I was hearing heavy against my skin. Marie entered first and then I, she quickly made her way up the stairs as I walked to my mothers room to make sure she was okay.  I open the door as quietly as I could as I peered in. 

       The room was completely dark, except for the light shining from the television.  My mother was awake and had her complete attention focused on the television. She hadn't even realized that I was standing at the door, so I pushed the door against the wall to make some noise. She turned her head to me, her empty eyes looking right at me.

       "What?" She grumbled out  as she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. 

      "I just wanted to let you know Marie and I are home. Are you hungry?" I asked her. She leaned over to her bedside table picking up a can of soup. 

      "I don't need your help, get out of here."  She said as she narrowed her hollow eyes at me. I nod and quietly shut the door. If she doesn't want my help then there's no point in being here. 

       I made my way up the stairs to check on Marie. I knocked quietly on her door and slowly opened it. Her room was a complete mess, clothes and litter were thrown around her room, but I noticed that she was gone. Knowing my sister she probably ran off to Danielle's house. 

      Making my way to the attic door I tapped three times. Luke opened it up and he popped his head out. "Everything okay?" He asks me quietly. 

      I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, just lemme change my clothes real quick. I'll meet you outside." 

     "Are you sure?" He asked as I moved out of his way so he could get out of the attic. "I don't mind waiting."

    "Yeah, it's way too hot for you to wait in the attic anyway."  I told him as he crawled out of the attic. He dusted himself off as he made his way to the attic's window. 

      "All right, I'll meet you by the garage." Luke said as he crawled out the window. I watch him get onto my roof before moving quickly out of my sight. I closed my curtain and walked to my dresser. I picked out a pair of short blue shirts and a thin t-shirt. I brush my hair before putting it up with a pink clip.

      Outside I see Luke texting some on his phone as I got closer he looked up from his phone. Luke grinned. "You look great!" 

      "T-thank you." I say. I looked at what I was wearing, it was pretty basic when it came to my wardrobe, but it was nice that he said something. He extended his hand to me and I didn't feel myself hesitate when I placed my hands in his. I could feel my heart flutter as he held my hand as we both made our way to Nathan's house.  As we walked to the front door I noticed a motorcycle in his driveway.

      Gabriel answered the door right away. He wasn't wearing the academy uniform anymore instead he was wearing a bright neon green tank and a pair of jeans. He smiled at me as he leaned against the door frame. "Hey there Trouble, if you want to come inside you'll have to give it up."

     I titled my head. "Huh?" 

     "The hair clip," He held out his hand to me. "Pay the toll." 

     I let out a sigh. "It's too hot to have my hair down." 

     "Leave it alone Gabe," Luke said as he slipped off his blazer and began undoing his tie. "Let her keep it."