Chapter 54: The Image of Psychotic Charisma In The Eyes of A General

A/N: This update is longer than usual, significantly so. Be warned. Otherwise, enjoy!

***

"All forces, this is the captain of the CVN-90 Saratoga. Be advised, our forward aerial scouts have detected the approach of enemy ships numbering towards the hundreds. I repeat, visual confirmation of over a hundred ship of the line type naval vessels has been established."

"About time," Rin revealed a grin, a rare action of hers. "Their field army has also entered visual range."

"Should we radio the artillery?" Rin's adjutant asked.

Rin shook her head, "Hold it for now. We're to be the defensive side. Ah, we did mine the fields in our territory, correct? I want the ground packed with those anti personnel shredding mines that Horizon sent us earlier."

"Yes, it has already been done."

The nonchalant breaking of war crimes was being calmly discussed.

However, their nefarious plan was fortunately interrupted by another transmission, "Reporting! The leading ship of the Empire's navy has raised a white flag!"

"What?" Rin was one that was difficult to surprise, but that caught her off guard slightly.

"There's also a white flag carried by the field army!" the reconnaissance unit reported a similar sight.

"For crying out loud! How am I supposed to test the new tanks now!?" in a fit of irritation, Rin threw her binoculars with such superhuman precision that it knocked a poor innocent bird out of the sky

Rin got upset over the strangest of things, but perhaps that was a divine miracle left behind by the careless Roselia. After all, it was anyone's preference to deal with a Rin that would only display cold difference upon hearing an insult directed towards Roselia, than to handle an enraged Jibril that was about to commit genocide because one had accidentally described Roselia as a little girl.

"They're surrendering, ma'am...?" the adjutant tilted her head.

"Not when they wasted so much effort in moving an army," Rin massaged her temple. "They probably want to communicate. A ridiculous demand so that would paint them as the righteous? No, then they wouldn't bother with white flags in that case, they would instead just shout the contents at us. It really is a genuine attempt at diplomacy, huh. Can't be helped..."

The adjutant shouted after Rin who already started moving towards the field army in her tank, "You're responding to them, Field Marshal Rin!?"

"Regretfully, yes. I shall grant them an opportunity of grace, as per the Arbitrator's decree," Rin sighed.

***

At the opposite ends of a rare opening in an area usually dominated by mountain ranges, two armies stood facing each other...at least, that's what the author wanted to write. It would much cooler sounding that way, after all. However, the current scene was a confused medieval army staring at a vast empty field where battles in this region typically defaulted to.

There was nothing but wildlife as far as their eyes could see, and even the environment was rather normal. There was no eerie silence, no creeping sensation travelling up their spine, and no suspicious emptiness. Everything was at it should be. The easiest conclusion was to simply march forward, and meet whatever army whenever it would happen.

However, their command must have refused to do so, for the men stood in formation with nearly perfect discipline, just like the trained elite troops they were. A good choice, for if they crossed the massive tree growing in the middle of clearing that was utilized as a border marker, then it would have been a disaster for the history books.