Chapter 42: Her Luck Was Dumb, Just Like Door Designs

Ugh...my head hurts. Where was I? Ah, right...that happened.

I blinked, stirring awake from my slumber. I gently caught the lady beside me who was about to fall, since we were leaning on each other during our sleep. I laid her down on the table so that she would rest on her arms, before tossing the blanket we were sharing over her.

She was a peculiar person, to say the least. She was surprisingly short for an adult, but her maturity matched her age. However, because of said body size, the white priestess robe was oversized. Her big round green eyes only contributed to her childish appearance, too. Nevertheless, she seemed like a good person. A bit too earnest of one, but adorably so.

I took a look at the mess the two of us had caused on the table, before gazing a bit apologetically at the shopkeeper, "How much do I have to pay?"

Glancing at me for a split second before returning to cleaning his tableware, "No need. Don't you remember? You threw a sack of coins into my face while the two of you were losing it yesterday. That was more than enough...for both the things you ordered and compensation."

Yeah...I went a bit too crazy yesterday. Admittedly, it was probably a placebo effect. There was no way I could have gotten drunk in this body, after all. Must have got caught up in the moment while complaining to a fellow kindred spirit. Still, was it really okay for a priestess to get drunk like that...?

Well, I don't know who you are, priestess lady. However, I had a good time with you. Took some stress off of me, so I'm really grateful. If fate allows it, may we meet again.

As I held some melancholic thoughts about leaving a newfound friend, I left the shop with a heavy heart. Even though I let out quite a bit of steam the previous night, but the things I had to do was unavoidable.

In the first place, why in the world were my subordinates not saying anything? I was alone, you know! Alone! Not even with Nia. When they didn't object to my actions, it made me extremely paranoid. It might have been my fault, though. Well...I might have took the whole "it's part of the plan" thing a bit too far.

I obviously wasn't about to eliminate the hero or do something shady towards him like what my subordinates thought, but I had to return to them with some degree of results, as mentioned before. But what? I wanted to stay as far away from the hero as possible. It was unlikely we could cooperate with him even if hell froze over, so I wanted avoid creating any sort of personal grudge within him.

That battleship in the distance wasn't exactly helping...I hope the hero hasn't tried to get close to it yet. Well, he probably hasn't. There should have been a commotion by now if he did. You know, something like him wanting to board the battleship on grounds of shadiness, then my subordinates responding with arrogant superiority.

Anyway, for now, I should investigate the slavery matter? It was a good distraction from the hero, and besides, it was technically the issue I had implied to Horizon I was coming here for. I could go back with some additional information and it should look reasonable in my subordinates' eyes. They interpret any sort of minor achievement by me as a massive feat of accomplishment with their fanatical perception, anyway.

Time to look for a suspicious alleyway and stumble into it, I guess.

Ah.

Just as I was about to start walking the streets on an early morning day, I was met with the incredulous sight of a dark corner of the street, specifically one created by the space between two run down buildings, a rarity in a city with decent infrastructure like this. In other words, I had stumbled into an alleyway just a few steps away from the diner. I knew I had a fast walking speed, but still.