Chapter 1: How Did Things Turn Out Like This...?

One day, I will go to the developers' office, and scream at them over who in their right mind decided it was perfectly fine to give players the ability to nuke a medieval fantasy world from orbit.

This, I swore in my heart as I watched the Imperial Armada fire up their Genocidal class bombardment cannons.

Ahem. Let's rewind a bit. Actually, a lot. Let's go back to the very beginning, where idiot past me kicked all the cans of worms down the road to here, for future me to deal with.

***

The MMORPG "Brave New World" took the gaming community by storm. It was a game where...well, it was chaotic to say the least. There were dragons like any good fantasy RPG would have, but there were also tanks, fighter jets and spaceships. In other words, it was quite the varied game.

Although the sci-fi part seemed to possess overwhelming might over the more classic fantasy bits, it was quite well balanced since magic was only usable by the classic fantasy side, though there definitely were exceptions. All in all, it was a pretty unique and well designed game.

Then there was this guild system like any other MMO, but it was also unique in the sense that you can create your own NPCs or use your own pets to fill the slots of the guild along with real players.

Although there was a certain limit to NPC slots, but the player could still create more NPCs as flavor characters that could still show up in the guild.

I, of course, went crazy on such a thing. I created many, many NPCs and pets...to the point where the details would make even the most hardcore of role players go "Uwah". I also won awards and was put under the spotlight in several community made videos.

There were even easter eggs put into the game by developers in recognition of the famous guild with only a single player and the rest NPCs, as if it was all an elaborate scheme to mock me.

I-It's definitely not because I couldn't find any friends to join my guild okay!? I prefer to play alone anyway! Hmph!

Well, at this point you must want to run away, right? The person who went crazy over a video game must be bad news, right? I don't particularly blame you. I, too, at times despair at the state I am in.

A young maiden was reduced to such a state over a game...not even bothering to eat, sleep, or take care of my appearances. Sometimes I wonder where my cute younger self back then disappeared to...

Well, enough depressing stuff! You guys must want to know about the main character, right! After all, we'll be seeing each other lots for a while, whether we like it or not. Let's skip the appearances for now. Hm? Why? Well...because it seems my previous appearance will not matter.

"Nh...has morning come already...?" an unfamiliar voice sounded out in the room.

I blinked hard, my eyes rather blurry after a long sleep. Brave New World servers went down for extended maintenance, so I have been sleeping like a log for the past few days. It wasn't often you saw games go down for more than a day, so I took the opportunity to catch up on sleep. So there wasn't anything odd to wake up feeling like I've slept for centuries.

But there definitely was something odd about the place I was sleeping at. In the first place, I was not that rich to afford such fine bedding. Even though I made quite the amount streaming, but at the end of the day the standard of living was really high, you know

 Anyway, the bedding was...heavenly, to put it simply. Exquisite, the finest quality that you could find. Honestly, it might have be better than the ones you would find in a big shot's place. Soft and fluffy, the ridiculously embroidered sheets were hugging me tight, and I didn't want to let go either.