Chapter 37: Insanity Takes Different Forms

A/N: There was a mistake in the previous chapter. It was supposed to be chapter 36, not 37. I apologize for the mistake, and it has been fixed.

***

Good lords above, if there ever comes a day when I would go insane, you readers would know who to blame.

You know there was always this person that would comfort you because it was their job? Maybe the councilor? Or the doctor? The usual thing you would hear when you were being diagnosed. An indifferent and dry 'oh I'm sorry we will try our best to help' thrown at your face. It really was something quite dreary and annoying.

Now, I understood their pain. To all the doctors and nurses I silently cursed at, I am sorry. Really am. Taking care of children was taxing on my mental health, not to mention it was tired and terrified children...For crying out loud, why were you still knocked out, useless macho man!? At least help me!

I took a sip from my coffee and sighed. Really, how I have missed you, coffee. You and I were such good friends during my college days...it was only respites like these that I could be with you again. Still, I couldn't stay for long. There was a load of responsibility waiting for me once I left the temporary personal quarters set up for me in a Valkyrie transport.

Eh? That wasn't very student like? Screw that! My act was out at this point, so might as well!

"Lily. A refill," I ordered the maid I had called several hours ago to refill my cup.

Really, this was nerve wrecking. It's been several hours since they left, so it really made you wonder what my subordinates were up to in the middle of the night. Well, I decided to trust them on this one, so I could only pray.

"It's been your fifth cup, Your Majesty. Is it really alright?" Lily asked with a concerned expression.

"It's not like it'll do anything to my body. Another one," I was almost on the verge of snapping at Lily due to my volatile mood, but I held back just in time, knowing full well the consequences of displaying my displeasure in front of my subordinates.

I really needed to relax somehow. Back on Earth, that would be to play Brave New World, but that obviously couldn't work now. Maybe I should continue with my experimentation of my numerous abilities? I was still curious about them, and there were still a lot of Brave New World Systems I have yet to tested out. So far, I merely confirmed the more important ones.

Ah, that reminded me. There was this idea floating around in the back of my head that I have yet to get around, it was about the inhabitants' of this world. It was somewhat of a curiosity of mine to investigate their culture and technology, particularly when it came to the implementation of magic.

I could somehow achieve that by utilizing the membership of the Adventurer's Guild, then blending into human society. Or rather, this world's society. If I was doing things for the sake of information gathering and experiencing things for myself, then being an adventurer was a much feasible excuse.

"Your Majesty," Lily called to me as she served the cup of coffee, but it seemed like she wasn't done speaking. "The Wraith Division has returned. With good news, it appears."

"I see. It seems I won't be able to finish your coffee, Lily," I said as I hit the button that would open the Valkyrie ramp.

"For the princess to to even consider my brew to be worthy of Your Majesty's palate is high enough of an honor already," my subordinates were among the few people that you should be worried about their "flattery sounding" words in an entirely opposite manner.

I walked down the ramp, into the camp filled with terrified children currently being soothed by shrine maidens. I tried my best ignoring my classmates' expressions as I strode past them...ugh. How did things turn out like this?