Chapter 38: Forms Such as An Eccentric Elf

Ah...this was absolute bliss. Being shut in like this, it was great. They provided free food, shelter, and safety. Awesome, right? Even though I was technically a prisoner, I didn't really mind since I wasn't treated badly. What an excellent experience. Eh? My brain has been fried because of my stress? No comment.

Still, you couldn't deny I was basically being a freeloader without any legal, ethical, or financial consequences! How awesome was that? This would easily be passed off as a scam back on Earth, but free lunches really did exist, eh?

Even though it was a dungeon, but as expected of one beneath a duke's manor. It was regularly cleaned by some poor maid, so it wasn't too disgusting. The cell itself was also surprisingly decent, with proper tiling and bedding, complete with showers and all. It was more like a proper living space, except for the metal bars and windowless walls. Judging from the aforementioned features, this cell was probably meant for important political prisoners.

Was I bored being in the same place? No, not really. After all, Mr Inventory kept me company for the past few days. It was fascinating to mess around with the items of Brave New World, especially the flavor items. Even mundane ones like materials dropped from mobs were interesting, and there were countless of them in the game, considering many of the mobs were randomly generated by a revolutionary AI system.

For example, a common end game item players often grind for, the "Hollow Flame" was said to be the core of enemies with the ghost and fire attribute. In the game, it was a common drop that nearly all players would have several stacks of due to regular farming. Its only usage was materials for other items or synthesis ingredients, and that was about it. Crafting mats, as we like to call them in the community.

Now that it was reality, the Hollow Flames had a rather fun property. Apparently, they collected the spirits from the air, and continuously released them in a cycle. The end result was a pretty orb that glowed a phantasmal rainbow hue, and it was especially charming in the cover of darkness.

Fun stuff, huh? The things that I didn't spare a second glance in the past now had unique properties. I wonder what about the rarer materials? I really didn't want to take them out unless I was in the safety of Eden's laboratories, because I could remember some seriously chilling backstories regarding them. Still, these several days of messing around had got me thinking about such matters.

"Young lady? Are you awake?"

Hm? Ah, it must be the maid that took care of the dungeon. Was it lunch already?

The sound of doors shutting could be heard, before the mixture of keys clinking and footsteps echoed down the hallway. Sure enough, the maid that I have seen for the past few days appeared before my cell with a tray of food in her hand.

There wasn't much notable about her, probably except for the fact that she was quite the earnest individual. She tried her best in everything, even if it was taking care of a useless person like me who was freeloading. To be fair, her employers were the one who imprisoned me...but still. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but to feel a bit guilty for taking advantage of her kindness.

"It's lunch, young lady. I apologize, but I couldn't sneak much onto your plate this time," she slid the tray into my cell.

See what I meant? The maid had this misconception that I was suffering or something along those lines. I suppose that would be the common sense, but common sense and I were strangers.

"Thank you. It is already enough," I thanked the maid with a smile, since that was the most I could offer her without further complicating the issue.

The maid sighed, "You really are strong. I would have at least started panicking and tearing up already, if I were you. To think the young master would imprison someone as lovely as you...and there are rumors that you are someone important, too. Really, he doesn't take after his father at all."