Chapter 36: Tale of A Future Hero Part II

"B-before that!" I couldn't help but to stutter in front of the individual that only registered my existence because it was necessary. "One of my classmates require medical aid! He's going to bleed out at this rate!"

"An annoyance," her immediate reply made me silently despair, but for an unknown reason she responded to my plea. "Very well then. Where is the injured human?"

"Thank you. He's over here," an enormous weight was removed from my shoulders as she accepted my desperate begging.

"Laura? Who is this?"

Before I could answer my classmate's inquiry, the fox replied for me, "The lot of you need not concern yourselves with that. Remain silent and orderly, for I am not as patient as the others."

Her soul chilling tone and stare that called forth blizzards was enough to silence us, if her warning was not apparent enough already. With a brief but mocking snicker, she ignored us and turned towards the boy who was about to breathe his last any moment.

Her gaze flickered over the patient indifferently, before giving her judgment, "Humans are rather fragile creatures, aren't they? Merely weak and bleeding statuses were enough to send one to the death bed...I wonder what happened to the tenacity of the adventurers. Doesn't exist in this world, certainly."

She pulled out a small clear bottle, one that contained a suspicious red liquid. The shape itself reminded me of the health potions the alchemists would brew, but the liquid that restored life force was a diluted pink, not a shade of blood red. With a single flick of her thumb, the fox popped open the potion. With a rather annoyed expression, the fox tipped the vial upside down.

The red liquid was doused over the injured boy, much to my surprise. Most potions, particularly the one that restored wounds, didn't require to be ingested directly. It was often easier to just let the skin absorb it the liquid, but it wouldn't be as effective. In times like these, shouldn't she let him drink it directly, or she would have to use several of these potions?

However, the duke's son's breathing immediately eased after the potion's contents was absorbed into the body. A rather shocking outcome, for anyone who has experience with using potions before. There were very few synthesized potion in existence that could restore injuries immediately, but I could be wrong, since I had never seen red health potions before.

"That's that. The rest of you look fine, so I won't bother. Just be obedient, and wait for us to come pick all of you up," the fox gazed at us, before murmuring under her breath. "Really, how troublesome."

"W-wait!" I stumbled after her as she started to leave the room.

"What is it? I believe I told you to remain quiet, human. A child you are, but a lesser human is you," she kept on walking without even casting a single glance towards me.

"I have the responsibility to know what is happening. I am in charge of these students," I declared, although I could already hear the slight trembling beneath my voice.

The Le Guin who appeared calm and responsible was, in the end, merely an act. As one could tell by now, I had to uphold the honorable pedigree of my dynasty. Not that I detest that duty, no. Not at all. In fact, I wanted to be strong. I wanted to be reliable. I wanted to be worthy to bear the name Le Guin. Even so, there was just this daunting obstacle in my way.

Hidden away underneath the layer of discipline, there was a strange fear of responsibility. I absolutely hated the idea of bearing the burden of the consequences, be it good or bad. There was also the nervousness about the world. The world, after all, was unknown. I didn't want to accept heavy duties while heading out into the world, not with people like the three fox demi humans running around.