Chapter 52: The Actors Step Onto The Stage

"'All quiet on the southern front', so report the corps assigned to the border," a soldier in full combat gear reported.

"They're awfully slow moving, hm?" Rin murmured as she observed the horizon with her binoculars. "Slow. Too slow."

"Your standards are a bit unfair, field marshal," you know that was true when a member of Eden said that. "It's almost winter. Even the rivers are freezing over. How fast can an army move?"

Rin snorted, "Hmph. It's exactly because of the season that I have high expectations of them. Any good commander would know to move quickly while the rivers are frozen solid. Save you the trouble of crossing raging currents."

"That's true, but..." the soldier muttered under her breath.

Rin sighed, "Anymore than this and I have to put in the extra paperwork to ask for more fuel. How annoying."

The soldier laughed nervously, "Yeah...getting yelled at by Essex and her engineers can't possibly be fun."

Rin mused, "For a bunch named after carriers before the nuclear era, it's rather ironic they complain about the usage of oil."

"I mean, anyone would do that when they're suddenly demanded to provide weeks worth of oil without prior notice...Even if we don't have a supply issue, doing things like that is a bit unreasonable. Doable, but unreasonable..." the soldier muttered under her breath.

However, the soldier understood, as much as she hated to do so, that being like that was what defined Rin as a leader. Rin demanded unreasonable things of others, but at the same time, they weren't impossible tasks. Perhaps it was a result of an "aim for the stars, at the very least you should fall on the clouds" philosophy. Or maybe it was simply an eccentricity of a genius. Whatever the case it may be, it was undeniable that it was a part of her charisma of a general. Even though it gave her subordinates numerous headaches...

The soldier cleared her throat to change the subject, "More importantly, will they truly invade, field marshal? There doesn't seem to be enough motivation for them."

"I don't know."

"Eh?" the soldier was dumbfounded that Rin of all people said that.

Rin chuckled, "Have you forgotten? I'm a tactician. Strategist if we're fighting on a bigger scale. I am no politician. I care not for how, why, when, what, or who will invade. The only important matter is that they will invade. As such, my only concern is deciding on how quickly we should massacre them for daring to step on the grounds the Arbitrator had already claimed for her own."

Rin shifted her gaze towards the direction where the ocean breeze was blowing in from, "However, it was Tenko who informed me that they were invading. So I'll say that information is pretty reliable. The reasoning was a bit ridiculous, but I suppose such a thing exemplified the stupidity of lesser humans."

"Oh...?" the soldier was also distracted by the distant ocean, almost forgetting about their conversation.

For those who had the senses of a higher human, they could most definitely hear the calls of a mighty beast from across the ocean horizon. Just moments after, from the mists of Orphelius bay, the shape of a ship took form. As its presence rose from the tip where the horizon turned into the curvature of a spherical planet, its oppressive aura was announced to the world.

The silence of the sea was about to be shattered. The lull of the ocean was about to drift into an unrelenting storm. A sign of absolution. A symbol of overwhelming strength. It was something that caused even the war hardened veterans of Eden to pause amidst their duties, admiring the weapon of war that perhaps could take on entire fleets on its own.