Chapter 51: A Certain Young Girl's Motivation

My name is Nia, but you probably already knew that. Still, never hurts to introduce myself again, considering how hectic things have been lately. Well, not particularly for me, but it definitely was for Princess Roselia. Although I understand that much was the norm for one who bore such a responsibility, but I still can't quite help but to feel some degree of sympathy. Well, I suppose the princess would only scoff and proclaim the things she had done over the past week were not very memorable.

After all, they were laughably insignificant when compared to the grand scheme of things. From the numerous tales of the other world Tenko had told me, the members of Eden would hunt down wild monsters one day, and be on a quest to prevent the incineration of the universe the next. For the individual who led them all, surely the recent events were considered to be all in a day's work. Was that why Princess Roselia would often mention something very important but proceed to gloss over it? Well, I digress.

I was secretly glad that the princess wasn't going to handle the work of a ruler for the next week or so, as selfish as that was. I understood it was necessary for Princess Roselia to attend to important matters, but a part of me silently wished for the princess to remain unoccupied. That, in a way, was a selfish desire of mine.

It was a bit difficult to describe, but there just was this fuzzy feeling in my heart whenever Princess Roselia would use me for her own amusement. To the individual who saved my life, being of use to her was the least that I could do. Fulfilling my purpose of a "toy" was a joy that defined my very being, I dare say. That was a normal feeling for the people of Eden too, according to Rin.

I wanted to please Her Majesty someway or another, since that was all I was chosen for. I mean, simply take a look at the denizens of Eden. There was no lacking of talent or raw strength. For a normal human among superior beings, I could only do one thing and one thing only. As fittingly described by Princess Roselia upon my introduction to Eden, I was "entertainment".

I shall state this over and over again, but I did not mind being such a thing. I had no right to complain, since my life should have been extinguished up in those mountains a long time ago. A property like me didn't desire to be treated as a human being, no, that would simply be foolish. I just wanted something simple. If I could somehow bring a smile upon the princess' lips, then I couldn't ask for a reward better than that.

That was why I was overjoyed when Princess Roselia informed me of her plans to observe a certain festival of the Kingdom, a celebration that I would participate in due to my ties to the academy. It was just as the princess had said back then. It was something about Her Majesty enjoyed watching the lower creatures struggle with all their might, and the efforts they put in that could very well turn out to be futile in the end.

Perhaps, I had thought, if I were to try my absolute best in performing at such a festival, then it would possibly bring even the slightest bit of amusement to Princess Roselia? Upon reaching such a realization, my excitement for the holiday was renewed. In the past, I had looked forward to this celebration just like any child would, but now, I was doing so for an entirely different reason.

I mean, I could finally be of use to the princess! In the first place, I wasn't a talented individual. I grasped the concepts of operating intricate machinery in a day, when the standard for Eden citizens should be about an hour. My social etiquette took me an embarrassing three days to master under the tutoring of Tenko, a time period that was most unsatisfactory.

I was no genius. I had no special ability. I was not like the other members of Eden. Rin, who was a military genius to the point where even Jibril would avoid a tactical confrontation with her. Tenko, whose wisdom was second only to Her Majesty. Aura, who was capable of fooling even the world itself into believing that she was but a mere shadow. Jibril, whose might could only be brought down by Her Majesty in full equipment, if the tale of their legendary battle was true. Horizon, who....well, one should be able to understand my point by now.