Chapter 16: Border Conflict

Uwah...they've really brought a lot of men. I know your pride was probably hurt because of last time, but you really should listen to your subordinates a bit more, you know? Look, Sturm up there in the sky was feeling a bit disappointed already.

"So who's the one in charge of this force this time?" I couldn't allow my subordinates to take the reign this time, so I took the initiative.

"I am Duke Karl, the commander of this army!" a self important looking man presented himself before me.

Really...who thought it was a good idea to let this prideful sounding guy be in charge of this? Or they thought he was good enough? Or the Kingdom wanted to test the waters so tossed a relatively useless guy at my way?

This slightly chubby guy didn't seem like much of a duke. He seemed like the typical useless villain in those stories, you know? The stereotypical evil noble archetype. He looked the part, too. Not that I had anything against chubby people, but he just fits the stereotype so much that it feels as if the author was mocking me and archetypes in a roundabout way.

Anyway, I should respond in a neutral manner, "I am Princess Rhongomyniad. What brings you gentlemen here today?"

"Oh...? A princess? Well, no matter for a small nation. I am here to reclaim the land that rightfully belongs to the Koraine Kingdom, as well as under my duchy!"

Damn it all! I gave you the best chances, but you've went and ruined it! Look at all the angry faces surrounding me! Ah!!! Do you guys want a war or what!? Well, not like I could deny the second half of his statement though...

"And just how much of this land are you referring to?" I tried to stall for as long as I could while I attempted to think up a good solution to this mess.

"Hmph," but he completely ignored me. "There's no dragon here...those good for nothing border guards must have been drinking too much! And steel chariots? These constructs are? They're probably just steel structures without any use anyway. And you, princess of the other nation. Shouldn't you come down from that throne and properly greet an envoy of the great Koraine Kingdom?"

He went and done it!!! I could probably forgive the dragon thing because Sturm is up in the air, but are you that stupid!?!? Even your soldiers can tell this enormous thing with a long barrel is bad news! Just because it ain't moving doesn't mean it won't move!!!

And that last thing you said, I wouldn't be able to stop my subordinates once they really start rampaging you know!? Can't you work with me here!? I'm trying to get you guys home alive, you know!?

Oi, oi ,oi! Nia, why do you look like you're about to reach under your skirt!? Didn't we just learn about gun safety a few hours ago!? What kind of fanatical things did Gale fill your head with!? I swear, if that woman taught you that anyone who opposes me is an enemy...Ugh, my stomach cramps were coming back.

For now, I should try scaring him before he says anything more outrageous, "Rin, won't you fire something at a nearby tree?"

The tank Rin was in roared to life, the turret swiveling. The 120mm smoothbore gun aimed at a tree, and fired. A thundering sound boomed in the clearing, and a tree was torn to shreds...followed by several others in behind it.

Then finally, the shell detonated after hitting the fuse sensitivity. The surrounding area was consumed by the resulting inferno, leaving behind scorched earth.

Rin was pretty sneaky, huh. She loaded HE shells beforehand instead of the usual anti tank rounds, so the display would have been more spectacular. Or it could be I was just stupid, since there was no real reason why they needed to load anti tank rounds anyway.