Chapter 33: Nine Tail's Tale-Second Tail

My name is Tenko, but you probably already knew that.

Today marked the day that for the first time in forever, the princess became upset. No, I suppose this was the second time? Even that wasn't too accurate. After she became the Dragon Arbitrator, my dear Roselia took on such a huge responsibility. With such duty, she herself willingly cast aside her own desires of a normal individual.

Before the entire duel with the dragon emperor went down, Her Majesty wasn't like the princess now. Although she did have the majority of her charisma and allure, but she was much more innocent, for a lack of a better term. All she ever wanted was to simply explore the world. Experience new things. Meet new people. All of the usual things one wanted from an adventure.

It still makes me smile when I recall those days adventuring with her. She would often pout after returning from a meeting with the other different world adventurers, complaining about their teasing of her. Even so, the happy expression was enough to tell me she truly did cherish those times.

When she did not have the world ending power she has now, we would often find ourselves in rather sticky situations due to her recklessness. I would often chide her with an exasperated tone, considering a good majority of those times would often result in us leaning on each other as we crawled our way back to the nearest camp.

Even so, after running away from rampaging monsters for the heavens know which time, she would only laugh and say, "Ah, that sucks. Better go grind for some better equipment."

She was just like an overly active child. A bit whimsical at times, but oddly mature. Her nature back then was very endearing, and at times I would often be nervous over the fact that our time spent together would be a short one. After all, the adventurers were a mysterious existence. Even though I tried my best to investigate their origin, the most I understood was that they were from a different world.

I heard rumors that adventurers would often go missing for months, or maybe even years at a time. That was one of the lucky outcomes as well, with some cases they would just disappear completely as if their existence was erased from the face of Lune. I was afraid that the girl I came to treat as my own daughter would disappear as well. That she would leave me behind.

Even if I understood she truly did love Lune unlike the majority of the indifferent adventurers, there was still the fact that Roselia was one of the mortal races. They will eventually die. Even if their bodies seemingly had blessings of endless lives, time did not care for that. They will age. They will die. That was an irrefutable fact.

I realized once that happens to Roselia, I would be alone again. After finding someone I could cherish ever since I came into existence at the dawn of Lune, I would be soon left behind in my solitude once more. It was a fear that often kept me up at night as I sang her to sleep.

Of course, such a thing proved to be a worthless fear. Laughing at everything thrown her way, she ascended to a pseudo godhood, obtained the right to inherit the dragon throne, became the Arbitrator and representative of dragons, and accepted as an ancient, all within a single month.

Although I was secretly relieved we would spend the rest of eternity together, I couldn't help but to be upset at the old geezer who passed down such a heavy responsibility to my dearest child. Really, I want to curse that old friend of mine. Even after he died, he went on to cause unnecessary trouble for me.

The dragon emperor and I...well, let's just say we go a long way back. He went on and started a war of the ancients for my sake, just because I was kicked out of the ancients, since they labeled the Tenko race as an 'aberration' instead of an actual race. I eventually accepted their ruling to put a stop to that idiotic war, and cut ties with him after a meaningless disagreement.