Chapter 9: First Friends...?

We were soaring through the skies in an uncomfortable silence. I get that she probably didn't dare to say anything without my permission, but it was seriously unnerving me. I could feel her entire body tense up with how close I was to her...or perhaps it was exactly because I was so close to her?

I opened my mouth, "What are your names?"

"G-Gale, Your Majesty!" she was pretty shaken.

The dragon on the other hand was pretty calm, responding with a deep booming voice, "This one is Sturm, ancient princess."

"Hm..." those names drew up a blank. "Neither of you are my personal creations or among the five hundred, are you?"

"We do not have that honor, Your Majesty," Gale replied.

So they were procedural generated NPCs for the guild, huh? Although they looked pretty much the same in game compared to each other, their appearances varied greatly in this world, as if they were real people. I suppose they are, though. However, these NPCs didn't have backstories made by me. Let's conduct an experiment, hm?

"Where are you from, Gale?" I inquired.

Gale seemed to have calmed down by now, "My homeland, Your Majesty? A small village deep in the Krone Valley."

The Krone Valley. That was a familiar location for players who had hit the end game. It was a high difficulty area that spawned a lot of legendary and king class dragons. Wait, she was from that village? Would that mean...?

"Gale, are you a dragonkin?"

"That is correct, princess," Gale affirmed.

Now that I looked at her, it was quite obvious. Her hair color was an unnatural bright green with white streaks, although bright, vibrant shades like that was the natural hair color for dragonkin. Gale had a pair of vertical slits for irises, much like cats and reptiles.

Said eyes were glowing in a mixture of a deep ocean blue and bright emerald green, but they would be more obvious at night. The rest of her appearance was rather human looking, though.

The dragonkin race were a group of people that was both human and dragon at the same time, but neither as well. Strictly speaking they didn't have any relation with humans or dragons, but they just somehow have both traits of the two races.

Coincidentally, or perhaps due to the developers, it was just a separate race that had human and dragon attributes. Due to that, they were extremely adaptable and were frequently picked to become riders of dragons, and later on dragon knights.

"You have a family back in your village?" I continued my experiment.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Gale nodded. "Had two loving parents and a cute little brother. I...I don't think they're alive now though, if time flows the same here."

"Do you miss them?"

"If I'm allowed to be completely honest, then yes I do, princess," Gale smiled ruefully. "But I don't mind. I've already made up my mind that I would set aside my past and serve you with the entirety of my being once I joined Eden."

"My parents agreed too, saying it was about time I set out and have a concrete goal in my life. My brother was a bit reluctant to see me go and threw a fit, but...he'll definitely be fine without an irresponsible older sister like me. Ah! I apologize, I went off on a tangent!"

I smiled, "I don't mind."

So it became something like this, I guess. Those without a backstory were given one that was based on the lives of Lune's inhabitants, and instead of being created by me, they joined Eden out of their own accord, much like some of the NPCs who had their stories come to life.