Chapter 48: A Temporary Respite

As the vast expanse of a city opened up before my very eyes, I couldn't help but to savor the sense of satisfaction flooding my heart. Although the city was no longer as recognizable—now that it was enlarged several times over—but I still could see the remaining vestiges of a city I designed by hand in the game.

Since we had arrived via landing platform of Eden, which was basically the airport, the region of the city we would first enter would be the commercial district. Normally I would just have Sturm land at the palace's landing pads, but this time around I wanted to take Nia on a tour of Eden.

Admittedly, Eden was basically seventy percent military facilities. Be it barracks, storage warehouses, defensive armaments, research labs, or fabrication plants, they took up a mind boggling amount of space on the floating fortress of a city. When it came to the more "luxurious" part of Eden, it was much more compact and rare. However, that didn't mean it was terrible by any means.

In this particular part of town, it was a bustling location like what you would expect from an entertainment and commercial district of a large city, but it was surprisingly sparse. I suppose it had something to do with the well thought out job rotations of Eden, considering basically everyone had a job. Even for those who were left up to their own devices like Yue and Tenko, they would preoccupy themselves with their own, uh, "hobbies".

To be honest, it was a bit disappointing to see modern day construction here, but I suppose it was just a matter of location. There were places like cyber town and Akagi that fulfilled sci-fi and fantasy desires, but the district belonging to the modern era was located near the landing platforms. Still, it was a sight to behold despite my familiarity with it.

Clean roads stretched down the street, although its size was rather limited. It only allowed for pedestrians and maybe a single lane of vehicle, but that didn't matter. After all, the main form of transportation to get around Eden was either through air, or the underground tunnels that had options for both automobiles and train. Or teleportation. You know, the most convenient option. Which basically nearly all characters over the level of fifty had...

At my location were just simple buildings, no taller than several floors. Nearly all of them were shops that sold a variety of local Eden goods, with the exception of enclosed structures meant to house defensive turrets or shield batteries. There existed restaurants that catered to simple tastes, or fine dining for those who swung that way.

Even though this part of town was simple, the skyscrapers that towered in the not so far off distance proclaimed the true glory of Eden. What a nice place, if I do say so myself. This place that I poured hours upon days upon months into...it was my pride and joy. I'll probably never get tired of gazing at Eden with my own pair of eyes.

"Although I've seen this place from the top of the palace before...Amazing," Nia breathed out in awe.

Continue lavishing me with praises! I permit you to! This is an amazing place, right!? Just wait till you witness the more scenic parts of Eden, Nia!

"Well, let's go have afternoon tea before the dinner they've planned," I smiled.

"As you wish, Princess Roselia," even though she responded in such a suppressed manner, I could notice the slight upward twitch of her lips.

***

"Welco—oh, if it isn't the princess and Nia! It's been awhile, Your Majesty! Several hundred years, even!" the shopkeeper greeted us warmly.

"It's been awhile indeed. How about some tea and snacks?" I nodded back to the shopkeeper who waved at me enthusiastically.

"Certainly! Coming right up!"