Chapter 17: The Field Marshal's Report

A/N: Haven't updated in awhile, so a slightly long chapter this time

***

My name is Rin. I have the greatest honor of serving the Dragon Arbitrator, Roselia Rhongomyniad. If I were asked to describe why I would serve Her Majesty, then it would be because of that distant dream. The day I met her, that is.

Those several hundred years ago, I was just a lowly human much like the ones I often looked down on now. In fact, I was even lower than that. I didn't even have my proper rights.

I spent my days rotting away in a small cage at a slave market, awaiting my new master. Freezing in the cold night air, or choking on the stuffy storerooms, there never was a happy incident for me. On one of those days, I met her. With her faithful companion Tenko, she passed by the market.

She was much like the other nobility I was used to seeing in the market. A bit cold and aloof, but she was somehow better than the others. She was more...graceful and elegant. She cast a single glance at my direction, before walking on.

Although I wouldn't say I had respected her or anything of the sorts at that point, but I did wish for her to buy me. Of course, the princess had lost interest in me quickly.

That was natural. I was a defective good. The most I could ever do was help the farms, and honest folk like that wouldn't attend a black market like this. Legal criminal slaves were much more cheaper. No matter how wonderful she was, my dreams of her purchasing me was, in the end, just a dream.

A week after, she passed by again. She looked curiously at me for a second longer, before turning towards my dealer.

"She's been here since last week. Can't sell her?"

The trader shook his head, "I'm afraid not. She just isn't worth much to those who actually come here. Not a very good piece of merchandise."

"I see."

With that short conversation, she left again. Of course, anyone would have been curious. Usually goods in that market would be sold in an afternoon, much less an entire week. Now any chance of me being purchased by her was down the drain, since she knew how worthless I was. Not like there was any chance of that in the first place.

However, that night I was approached by a visitor. I had assumed it was the trader that had wanted to clean the cages, but it was...the noble like person I had seen earlier in the day. This time, she was without her usual followers, but alone in the small dirty and suffocating storage room.

She walked over to my cell after scanning through the cages, as if she was looking for me specifically. It was difficult for me to see the features of her face under the moonlight, but apparently it wasn't the case for the princess. Her eyes were glowing fully in the darkness like that of a cat's, with the unnatural luminescence highlighting the golden specks in her eyes.

"It's rare to see a slave like you remain here for so long," she commented. "Both from a sales perspective and a survival view point."

She didn't seem to interested in my reply to that question, so she continued, "What's your name?"

"Rin, my lady," I replied.

"Is that so? To think a normal human would be in this region..." she was rightfully surprised, after all this region was of typically evolved races.

"No matter," she shrugged. "But, you are an interesting one, aren't you? Despite being so worthless, you seem to have more fight in your eyes than some of the higher quality slaves I've seen."

Although her words stung, I could only nod in agreement, "I have a little brother that is waiting for me at home. Perhaps one day I could earn my freedom. At least, that's what I hope. I don't know what to do anymore, but I just know I want to live."