Chapter 18: Preliminary Negotiations

I was currently debating about a rather philosophical topic mentally with all my other selves as I walked down the corridor towards the hangar. Alright, I need everyone to calm down and listen to me. So I've come to a terrifying thought.

You see, my subordinates' backstories came to life, right? And they remember it as their own memories, yeah? So were these memories fake? Or would they be considered real? If a reality like Brave New World existed, then the latter would make sense.

However, if it was the first, I might feel a bit guilty...I didn't make any too tragic backstories, but it still felt as if I was messing around with their lives. Hm...

Huh? What do you mean by I'm slow on the uptake? Such an issue was obvious since a few chapters ago, you say!? Then why did no one tell me!?

Oh well. No matter which case the situation was, there was no point in worrying over it any longer. It was good that I didn't make any joke characters or I would have felt really guilty. I think.

There were five hundred of them after all, and my brain might be blocking it out subconsciously to avoid responsibility...well, no matter! Let's focus on something else for now. Ah, I know. The Valkyrie!

Not to be confused with the Valkyrie race that Eden also had members of, the Valkyrie transport is a vertical take-off and landing aircraft, or VTOL for short. Although aircraft like that definitely did exist on earth like helicopters, the end game VTOL aircraft in Brave New World were typically experimental or theorized models, much like the other equipment of the game's modern era.

They were slightly more advanced than what we used back on earth, but were not that far into the future to be considered the future era rather than the modern era.

The Valkyrie was one of the two end game utility VTOL aircraft that were of the theorized category, with the other being a coaxial ducted-fan rotor system aircraft. The latter model, known officially as Wasp, was a much smaller VTOL that had more armaments than the Valkyrie and was much more favored by players due to its reasonable weaponry and troop carry size.

However, the Wasp was only commonly used in combat situations as a low attitude aircraft that could carry a fireteam or two to the front lines. For heavier and higher cargo count, the Valkyrie was preferred due to its higher altitude operation limit and thicker armor.

Another interesting feature of the Valkyrie that got carried over to reality through the backstory was probably the stability when the aircraft was in flight. Due to not utilizing rotors but instead normal jet engines, it flew a lot more smoothly.

Combined with the fact that it was much more spacious inside and could be modified to be more luxurious and comfortable, the Valkyrie was more suited to carry a VIP like me than the Wasp.

Woah woah woah hold up, did I just refer to myself as an important individual like it was a natural born right!? I was getting brainwashed too!!! Damn it all!

Sometime during my inner conflict, I had arrived at the palace's hangar. Awaiting for me on the helipad was a sleek jet black aircraft with the main body slightly larger than that of a jeep. Well, the Valkyrie was designed so that a small utility vehicle could fit in there in the first place.

Two rectangular thrusters were located at the edges of the wing, with it resting vertically, prepared for take off. When in flight, it would move to a position so that it would be horizontal, providing thrust to fly forwards like traditional planes.

In my opinion, the graphic designers of Brave New World really killed it here. The numerous vents on the Valkyrie caused the surrounding air to shimmer like it was a day. The slanted aerodynamic design of the aircraft looked undeniably awesome, and the aircraft itself was something that nailed both actual ability and appearance in the game.