Chapter 27: Being Normal Is The Best

Tragic. This was tragic. I shouldn't have expected much, huh...In the end, role playing me was still me. Well, good attempt, role playing me. But for now, let's stop this. Giving anymore effort than this would just make me feel really pathetic, frankly. I'll take control of the body again, and let's just live life normally here.

Maybe I was fated to not make much friends. Depressing, really. Even after two weeks, my progress on getting to know the inhabitants of this world was zero. Even Nia seemed to have made a lot of friends...

Oh well, there was at least something to look forward to! The field trip to the forest the elves apparently lived in! It was elves, you know!? Elves! Eh? I had subordinates that were elves? That was true, but they were not the elves of this world!

I wonder what the elves were like in this world. Were they the prideful and isolationist type? The typical punching bag and end of the joke trend that was gaining traction lately? At the very least, here was to hoping they were not extremist racists. Although I could just read the report Aura sent me, it was much more fun to discover new things with others, right?

In Brave New World, the elves were often split into two factions, the fanatical purifiers and the ones out to stop them. One side basically viewed the other races as inferior, while the other group simply wanted to atone for the sins the former had committed. And believe it or not, Aura was from the latter group.

This may come as a shock to many, but in the first place Roselia's job as a Dragon Arbitrator was basically to watch over the world and intervene in any world scale disasters. To such an extent, my subordinates should be benevolent caretakers, too. So how did it all end up like this...Oh well. There were good sides to them, that I could promise you. Really!

Ahem. Let's just toss that argument aside for now, because currently I was enjoying my time as a student. You know, the usual walking down the streets, shopping, and just messing about after school. Except without the friends bit...but don't sweat the tiny details! I was alone, but that was because I chose it! Yes! Because Nia also needed time to be with her friends, you know!

As for my subordinates, of course they would follow me once Nia wasn't with me. This time, it was Aura who was accompanying me, so that was good. She usually followed after me from a distance, disguised as a normal citizen. Yup, inconspicuousness was the best.

The pleasant chime of a bell sounded out as I pushed open the door to a sleepy shop in a corner, revealing a vintage shop within. Could it still be considered a vintage shop if it was in the medieval ages, though? Well, there were a lot of oddities and trinkets on sale. I entered because I quite liked coziness of the shop design, but now I was a bit overwhelmed by the sheer eccentricity.

"Welcome," an aged voice greeted me from the counter.

The man, presumably the owner, was an old grandpa. Not the strong and breaking common sense type like the principal, but this one was the typical one. A hunched body figure so fragile that it could break with a single touch, he was the exact image of an old man one would have.

Unlike the principal who had the body of a warrior and the sharp instincts of a politician, this one appeared to be the kind type, the ones you would often see spoiling their grandchildren.

He said with a friendly expression, "It isn't often you see a young lady like you in this part of town, eh? Much less a student of that academy."

"Just a bit of curiosity," I smiled back, unable to treat such a harmless old man any less.

"Is that so? But young miss, you should be careful. This area has become quite dangerous lately, you know," he laughed joyously, despite his words were a tad bit dark.