The Baby's Coming!

Start from the beginning

I groan and flip my phone closed.

I would call, Julia, but I don't have her phone number.

I sigh through my nose and run my hand down my face.

Why couldn't Mom come get me?

I stiffen as the doorbell rings. Who could be here at this time?

I set down the note on the counter and walk into the living room. I pause with my hand on the door knob and slowly open the door to see....Zack?

He's standing there with his hands in his jean pockets and he's wearing a green shirt that says 'Don't like me? Cool, I don't wake up everyday to impress you.'

His lips slowly turn up into a grin when he sees that I'm looking at his shirt and he runs his eyes down my body. I'm still wearing my McDonald's uniform, but my hair is down, and I have my glasses on, because my contacts were hurting my eyes after wearing them all day.

I feel my cheeks flame and I clear my throat. "Yes?"

His eyes snap up to meet my eyes and his grin grows. "Hey, Princess."

My lips form into a straight line. "Don't call me that. What do you want?"

He shrugs nonchalantly. "I just wanted to tell you the big news."

I raise my eyebrows. "And that would be?"

"Well," He places his hand on the door, right above my head, and leans on it, causing him to lean closer to me and causing little butterflies in my stomach. "I got the job at McDonald's. So, we're going to be spending a lot of time together."

Zack winks at me and I shiver involuntarily.

No! I can't do this!

I push him away. "Zack, I-" I get interrupted from the beginning of my rant by my phone. "Bye, Zack." I open the door and slam it in his face, then run to the kitchen.

"Hello?"

"Honey!" My Moms voice comes through the cellphone. "Are you on your way yet?"

"No." I sigh. "I can't find a ride, Mom."

"Did you call Gabe?"

"Yes. He didn't answer his phone." She's silent for a second and I chew on my bottom lip.

"Isn't there anyone else?"

"I'll take you."

I turn around. "Zack? Why are you in here?"

He smirks and takes a step closer to me. "Well, it looks like you need help."

"Who's that?" I almost forgot about my Mom.

"No one, Mom." I say, while staring at, Zack with my eyes narrowed at him. "No one."

Zack grabs my phone out of my hand quickly, and I try to get it out of his hand. "Give it back!"

"No." He says, holding it up in the air above me. "Let me take you."

"Never! Just give it to me. I'll walk!" I stand on my tippy toes and try to reach, but I'm too short.

I hate being short.

"You are not going to walk. It's too cold." He pushes me down on the chair, easily, so I won't get up, and sits on my lap. "Mrs. Green?" He winces from me banging on his back as hard as I can. "This is Zack from Sophie's, Ouch, um school." He pauses, listening to whatever Mom's saying. "Yeah, I'll take her."

I whine and try to push harder. "No, no, no, no, no, no!"

"Stop it!" Zack snaps at me. "Yeah, sorry. I'm still here." He pauses. "Yeah, I do." He pauses again. "Yes, I'm a safe driver. Okay, bye."

"I'm not going with you!" I yell as he gets up off of me.

"Oh, yes you are. I don't care if I have to make you, you're going with me." He smirks. "Do you want the easy way? Or the hard way?"

I stand up and start running away from him up the stairs.

"I guess it's the hard way!" He shouts.

I feel warm arms wrap around my waist, then the world goes upside down as he throws me over his back. "No!" I scream.

I give up hitting him, because I know it won't do anything. So, I just lay there.

"Where are we going?" He asks, as soon as we're in the car. "I just heard that you needed a ride somewhere."

I groan. "My brothers wife is having a baby. So, to the hospital. " I mumble, defeated.

He looks at me and smiles. "That's so cool." I must look taken aback, because Zack says. "Really. That is cool."

Wow. This side of Zack is cool...But, at the same time, creepy.

Well I never thought this would happen...Going to the hospital with Zack to see my brothers baby be born.

Yeah, I never thought that I would hear those words in my life.