♛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ₆₆

Cairo "East" Brewster

- Flashback - 2 years ago -

"What are you afraid of?" Dr. Meyer spoke, looking down at their journal, writing occasionally as he looked between me and Anahi. "Cairo, would you like to start?"

These sessions helped when they did, but in my honest opinion I felt that me and Anahi was good. We didn't need these sessions no more, but I wasn't gon argue cause there were moments when we wasn't at our best.

"Losing." I shrugged, leaning into the couch. He nodded, writing again. Fuck he always writing for? "I've always felt if I ain't had shit my way, I took it as a loss. Minor shit I'd get over, but if it was sumn big like losing family I'd be in a spiral." I paused, licking the corner of my lip and taking in a deep breath. I thought back to the miscarriage we had a year ago, shit was tough for us both. The feeling of Anahi look to me then back at her lap, I knew she felt what I felt. "I almost lost my wife due to a huge mistake a couple years back, then we lost a kid together about a year after. I thought she wasn't gon come back around due to my indiscretion, but we have kids together..and worked through it. I know Anahi still has some hurt inside of her from that to the loss of our baby, but I've been workin my ass off as we've progressed through our friendship, relationship and marriage."

"What are some of the things you have been working on, Cairo?"

"My temper. I know I can be an asshole, but ion really try to give that side of me to Anahi because she don't deserve that. There were times when I used to let my anger out on her, I would say some hurtful shit cause I didn't want to hear shit she was sayin to me." I inhaled a deep breath, shaking my head. "It was wrong of me to treat her that way, especially since I knew Nini was lookin out for my best interest. I always apologized, and she knows I've been workin on it, but there were times I knew she was over me because of that. I love her whole being, so I had to fix that. And she's taught me patience, and I've applied that into our relationship with us and our kids. Ion wanna be the man to mess up my family because of dumb shit that has none to do with them. So practicin patience been my biggest thing."

He nodded casually, tapping his pen gently before putting it down and looking between us.

"Anahi, what are you afraid of?" Dr. Meyer asked, moving his glasses up the bridge of his nose.

"Not being enough." She spoke lowly but loud enough for us both to hear. She brought one of her hands up, rubbing under her eye. "Not enough for my husband or kids...because I know that they're not always gon come to me or need me. And when Cairo cheated, I felt I wasn't enough because he found someone else to please him when I couldn't find the strength to be enough for myself. I was pregnant and going through postpartum." I felt my jaw clench, my arms folded over my chest. That shit hurt to hear, because she's always been more than enough. She's my rock and whole heart. "I was ready to throw the towel in at the time, but I grew attached to his daughter that isn't biologically mine, we had a son and the baby on the way. I had to think of the bigger picture, being that I didn't want to repeat the cycle in my family of brokenness."

"Would you say you're still hurt, Anahi?"

"Not as much as I was. We've been communicating better, and my trust in him feels stronger than what it used to be. After the miscarriage we had, I feel like that's brought us closer too...it was tough, but he was supportive because we both lost something that we created out of love." She placed her hand on top of my leg, rubbing it gently. "He's all I ever wanted in a man, so I would've been hurting myself if I did let him go. Cairo gets me in ways no other man has, he's patient...when he wants to be." She joked, causing me to playfully smack my teeth. "But forreal, he's shown me how it is to be treated as a woman. I knew my worth before he came along, but he added onto my life. He's my soulmate."