♛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ₅₀

Anahi Santiago

Over the course of 2 weeks, I found myself less energetic. I was only 5 weeks pregnant, and my doctor informed me the behavior I'm experiencing is postpartum depression. It's common in women, and I was going to a mothers group with other moms who were in the same boat. It was nice to have others to talk to who were experiencing the same thing as I was.

"How are you ladies doing today?" Angela spoke, us all sitting in a circle. It was only seven of us.

There were scattered responses, as I noticed two moms had a hand on their stomach, rubbing it in circles.

"Have any of you talked to your spouses, or those who are in your corner?" Angela looked around, a small smile on her face as she sat on a workout ball.

I listened as one woman spoke after the other, their babies fathers either being supportive or just not understanding them at all. I bit my lip as my thoughts wandered to how life was at home. Cairo was being supportive, but there were times he'd get frustrated and I'd shut down again. I wasn't sleeping in the same room as him, I didn't feel my best around him.

Some days were better than others, but he was always there trying his best. Even if it seemed I wasn't appreciative of him, I was. That was the biggest disconnect between us, and I couldn't blame anyone but myself. He still loves me and tells me we're gonna get through it.

I just wanted myself back. I didn't know what was different with this pregnancy.

"-ahi, Anahi." I shook my head, looking around as these women were looking at me. "It's your turn."

"Sorry." I mumbled, folding my hands over my lap. "We have our days, some are better than others. Umm, I tend to shut down and don't want to be bothered with my fiancé. He's understanding but then there's times he'd get frustrated...I just, I feel like I'm pushing him away but he still loves on me even when I'm in this state." I let out a breath, wiping under my eye. "With our second child on the way, I don't feel as excited as everyone else."

Of course they knew we had three children, but I'll never claim pushing out Kairi, because that's not the truth. She's still my daughter, and that's what people need to understand.

As we finished up our session, I was on my way out. I was gonna meet up with Jada, Ava and Reina for lunch. It's been a minute since we all linked up, and being that Reina is 4 months pregnant, we all been trying to fit time into each other's schedules. We had time today after a month of not seeing one another, our group chat was active though.

I missed my girls. Besides having my sister and cousin around, it was good to have girlfriends in my corner too.

As I was waiting on them in the parking lot of TGIFridays, I went ahead and FaceTimed Cairo. Leaning back into the seat, he finally answered, I took in his surroundings and licked my lips.

 Leaning back into the seat, he finally answered, I took in his surroundings and licked my lips