♛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ₆₀

Vote

- 5 years later | April 2025 -

Anahi Brewster

"What happened pretty mamas?" I cupped Kairi's chin, wiping under her eye. Baby girl turned nine last month, and is holding it down being the oldest out of all her siblings. Five children, and our lives are still nonstop. "Who do I need to go see?" I raised my brows, my jaw clenching shortly after.

"Mama, please." Kairi chuckled silently, looking off to the side. "You not gonna fight a nine year old."

"Trust me, I would." I gave her a stern look, us shortly falling out in laughter. "I'm playing. But I don't play behind my kids, so what is your teacher not doing to help?"

"Ms. Dexter don't listen. I told her this girl Abigail been rude, and I be minding my business." She rolled her eyes, huffing. "And today in the gym Abigail wanted to hit me. You and daddy raised us to not let anyone punk us, so we fought." She winced as I cleaned around her cut, it was a scratch just below her eye. "Mama, it stings." Her eyes started to get watery as I finished.

"The bacteria is clearing out." I muttered, shaking my head shortly after. "Listen to me, girls are gonna try you all your life, so try not to stoop to their level." I smiled softly, moving curls behind her ear. "I understand why you fought though, it was self defense. Just learn from this one, okay?" I threw out the cotton ball and washing my hands, as she nodded, a small smile on her face. "I'm going to your school tomorrow and will be speaking with both the dean and Ms. Dexter. Cause I don't understand why they would give you a longer punishment for defending yourself."

"Thanks mama." She mumbled looking down, as she twisted her foot. I lifted her chin, and gave her a look. "I know, keep my chin up."

"That's right mamas. Go to your room and relax, I'll deal with your father when he gets home." I kissed her forehead, moving back some hair out her face as she nodded and walked out the bathroom.

Blowing out a breath, I rubbed my temples at the stupidity of this faculty. We weren't putting our kids in private school for them to be treated less than. Cairo and I needed to talk about it, cause public school wasn't any better, but I will be honest; there's more culture at public school, some teachers are more attentive and want to help the younger generation reach goals; whereas in private school there was a certain quota to be met. Clearly this one ain't meeting it. I'll talk with Kairi too and see what she's comfortable with. And if I'm being real, I wanted them to go to school with their cousins, but Cairo had other plans.

Shutting off the light in the bathroom, I walked out and into the room, taking a seat on the bed. My thoughts wandering. I missed Miami as we have moved to New York three years ago and expanded our businesses. Cairo and Cassius have new locations for their tattoo shop, two clubs, and a new clothing store which is launching in June.