♛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ₆₄

- 2 weeks later | May 4th -

Kairi Chanel Brewster

Tomorrow is uncle Cassy's birthday, I overheard my mama sayin how we'd go to some dinner to celebrate his real day as him, daddy and my other uncles go to one of their clubs on Saturday.

I was just happy that mama decided on stayin home with us, because that's the only person I really wanted to be around.

She was always nice and had this certain happiness that I wanted to be around. Mama says it has something to do with calmness, or energy? I loved it, especially when we talked, she always listened and made me feel not as mad. Daddy says it's the way she talked to someone, just being able to relax.

Speaking of my daddy, he listened too, but he got angry fast so mama always had to calm him down. Even if it's a kiss, he's back to nice.

I don't know how mama does it, but daddy says she has magic. I want that kind of magic.

"Kairi, sweetie." I looked up at my teacher Mrs. Barnes as she walked over, a smile on her face. She was my favorite, better than Ms. Punk butt Dexter. That lady never listened, and I'm happy that I switched schools. "Everything okay? You've been quiet today."

Looking around the classroom, I was the only student left. Recess had taken place, I didn't mind it because some of these kids got on my nerves, I was tired of hearing about Jake and Kayla and their relationship.

Are nine year olds even supposed to have that?

"I'm okay." I smiled small. Daddy always told me don't tell people too much, no matter how concerned they may be, it could hurt you. "It's silly stuff, but my mama and daddy got me."

The only thing that really bugged me was that Nicole called my nana and said that goofy stuff. I don't wanna see or talk to her, I wouldn't even know what to say. I don't know her!

I didn't need her in my life as I had my mama, someone who really cared and loved me as a mother should. So why couldn't she be there before, instead?

"If you ever wanna talk, I'm here for you Kairi." Mrs. Barnes smiled, planting a hand on my shoulder. "Let's go outside so you can get some fresh air."

—————

"RoRo, what's your real mom like?" I asked as we sat outside waiting for our rides. My mama and auntie NyNy were on their way, it had only been maybe ten minutes since we have been let out. "I only ask cause Nicole talked to my nana."

"Mmm, my mommy is nice. Even if her and my daddy have their little fights, they still get along." She shrugged a shoulder, her brows furrowing gently. "My mommy told me she couldn't be bitter towards my daddy and NyNy, cause she didn't want anything to do with him anymore." She giggled, causing me to giggle.

"What's bitter?" I questioned.

"I guess really mean, and people do things to hurt others." She looked over to me and then over my shoulder at our siblings as they played around. I could hear them. "Is that what Nicole's doing?"

"Yeah, she said she's gonna take me away..." I sniffed, looking down at my shoes. "My parents said that's not happening though."

"Trust them KaiKai, cause I know uncle Cai and auntie Nini won't let anything like that happen." Royalty nudged my arm with her elbow so I could look at her. "Like mama Ny would say, Don't mind outsiders. They got nothing better to do, but to dim ones light."

I nodded, biting the corner of my lip. That's exactly what Nicole was, an outsider. She wasn't my mama the day she left.

"I'll see you tomorrow for dinner." RoRo hugged me as our rides pulled up, us both calling our siblings so we can go. "Keep smiling cousin." She gripped my hand as we walked towards the cars.