♛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ₁₆

Anahi Santiago

"Why you don't ever have any food in your cabinets?" I asked Cairo as i was looking through each door, this man had a lot of food you'd find in your typical college students dorms. Wasn't nothing that held any substance, he needed someone to go grocery shopping with and pick out the right foods cause this here wasn't it.

"I got food in there, fuck what you talkin bout." He chuckled, waving me off as he leaned back into the counter eating himself a bowl of ramen.

"Barely." I grumbled, rolling my eyes so he can see, "you need to get some real food." I put emphasis on real, a chortle following after.

"You gon cook it for me?" He questioned, perking a brow as he stuffed another forkful into his mouth. I twisted my lip up, cocking my neck back. "What?" He matched me, twisting his lip.

"You're funny," I shook my head, "you know how to cook... you just don't apply it to your everyday life, why?"

"Cause I be tired." He shrugged, pushing himself off the counter and to the sink to wash out his bowl. "Stop wit these goofy questions, ma." He chuckled lowly, looking at me again, his brows raised "and you ain't answer my question."

I rolled my eyes hard, walking out the kitchen and back to the living room. I've been here longer than intended, it was supposed to be a quick pop up to see Kai cause that's my lil boo, but this nigga always tryna keep my time. But i wasn't complaining, i had no where to be tomorrow.

"You ignoring me now?" Cairo came from the kitchen, his tone really had me weak. It was in that deep low bass, y'all know what I'm talking about?

"No." I said plainly, answering both of his questions in one. "I'm about to head out, KaiKai is sleep so ain't no reason for me to be here anymore." I looked at him, then down at the couch as I grabbed my crossbody bag off the seat I was previously sitting in.

He let out a loud breath, his teeth smacking shortly after. "Just cause she sleep don't mean you gotta leave." He went to sit down, patting the seat next to him. I shook my head, there's only so much time we can be around one another until someone cops an attitude. "Why you being difficult, com'on" He chuckled, grabbing onto my forearm and gently pulling me around the couch to sit.

"You be doing too much, i swear." I licked the corner of my lip, tugging at my sweater to pull it down. "30 more minutes and I'm out of here, aight?"

"That's coo wit me," He smirked, licking his bottom lip as he turned the volume up on the tv. "How's ya shop coming along? Last time you told me that the walls were gettin painted." He put the remote down in the space between us, looking at me briefly before his eyes moved back onto the screen.

"It's good, furniture pieces are coming in gradually. It should be completed in the next 2 months or so." I smiled, my cheeks were on fire too, it was something I was genuinely happy to talk about. "It's coming along really great." I chuckled nervously.

It was refreshing to have someone interested in what I did, most didn't care or they'd change the subject and make it about themselves.

"I'm happy for you and Ny, y'all really out here doin y'all shit." He nodded off, scratching the nape of his neck. That's when I took notice of a mark on his neck. I felt my mood shift. "You good Anahi?" He questioned, his brows furrowed as his face held concern.

I shouldn't even be tripping off him and what he does, but this shit just irked me. I counted back from 20 to at least try and get my breaths together, it was working. Barely. Everything felt like it was spiraling.

"Huh?" I asked, moving his hand back as he was waving it in my face. "Yeah...yeah, I'm good." I stumbled over my words, swallowing the lump in my throat.