“Ahhhh,” Jungkook drew in a breath.

“Aw man, I’m so sorry,” Daehyung whispered as he ran a nervous hand through his hair. “I thought you were gonna do... something.”

“Ah, it’s nothing,” Jungkook mumbled. “I see where your alarm came from.”

“But Jungkook, we need to get out of here. Please, try to stand. Are you sure it’s broken?”

“Hah,” Daehyun nervously laughed. “Ah, I heard a snap,” he whined as he gave Jungkook a hand. Kook rose to his feet, but winced as he put pressure on his right foot.

I wiped the last tears from my cheeks as I took in the new situation. “Can you walk? Do you know the way out?”

“I know the way out,” Jungkook reassured me with a sour look of pain. “It’s fine, I’m fine, we need to go. I have a high tolerance for pain. You can explain on the way back. But are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine, I’m pretty sure. I found Daehyun here, let’s just get out.”

“Hey, whatever happens now, I’m here. Let’s go home,” Jungkook concluded before limping forwards. I was shaking with a mixture of emotions, but I was more than happy to see Jungkook. I was even closer to home. 

-----

Scanning the bright white walls, my eyes averted from the blinding lights that were in a row along the ceiling. The pearl white and cream decorations surrounded the room, and even though white gave a somewhat vibe, I was wishing there would be a little bit more color. The blank pearl had surrounded me for the last few hours, and after the shock of the events that happened the night before, it seemed to bring a whole new feeling. The white was too happy and clear- a contrast to the dark brown walls of the molding house I was kept in for the last few days. The afternoon sun shone brightly, illuminating the room and adding to the cheer. I was happy to be here, even though it wasn’t for the best reasons.

The newspaper I had in my hand was crumpled from the wearing caused by my sweaty hands as I had read the words over many times during the night. The bold letters at the top were shining with a headline that caught my attention every time my eyes scanned the paper. ‘Man is Arrested for Attempt to Illegally Take Back Custody of a 13-year-old Girl who was Given Up for Adoption.’

My hands were still shaky as I held the paper. The doctors said my shakiness wouldn’t be a long term issue, and it would clear away soon, along with the rest of my after-shock symptoms. The only lasting injury from our adventures would be Jungkook’s foot, which indeed, turned out to be broken, and my slightly sprained wrist. 

The door to my hospital room opened, which startled me, but I smiled to the doctor who greeted me.

“Sujin, it looks like you’re doing well,” he said. He pushed his glasses up his nose while studying a document in his hand. “You were exposed to several chemicals while you were there, it looks like. You wouldn’t be surprised to hear one was dioxin,” he confirmed. I nodded. “But, you weren’t exposed to any of them enough for it to be a problem. It looks like you’re healthy and there shouldn’t be any more complications, so we’ll keep you here for tonight and you’ll be discharged shortly after.”

“Thank you, doctor,” I said. “How’s my brother?”

“Better. I mean, bones don’t heal all that fast but he’ll be back into his normal schedule soon enough.”

“Great. Thanks,” I smiled, and the doctor left the room. As he exited, Yoongi gave me a small grin as he entered.

“Sujin,” he greeted. “I’m heading off. You need anything?”