𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

SHOW HER YOU CARE !

☀︎

NIGHT TIME HAD ROLLED AROUND AND ALEX HENDERSON HAD TOP PRIORITIES IN MIND. A day spent with Erica Sinclair had tired her out, however, riding her bike all the way to what was rumored to be the hangout spot of the night had pushed the exhaustion to the side.

Alex had found herself making her way up the front steps of Max's house. Nighttime had quickly rolled around after a long day of babysitting and the chilly air had settled in after such a hot summer day. Wrapping her arms around herself, she had awaited for the sound of thundering footsteps of the kids but none had came and her hopes of catching a break disappeared immediately.

When the front door had opened up and the air around her had smelled of smoke and cologne, she had felt her heart sink. Standing before her stood Billy Hargrove with a cigarette dangling from his mouth.

"Is Max home?" Alex asked.

Billy found himself glancing over his shoulder but as far as he knew, Max hadn't been home just yet. "She's out with her friends. Didn't mention where they were heading. I heard your brothers back though."

"Yeah, I was hoping he was here too." Clearing her throat uncomfortably, she had taken a step back with a half hearted smile. "Well, I'll see you later then. If Max ends up coming home soon, just let her know I was here."

An opportunity had stood before Billy and he was unwilling to let it disappear before he had the chance. "We can hang out, if you want."

Alex looked to him with furrowed brows. "Don't you have a date tonight?" She paused as she held up a finger to correct her words, "Sorry, I meant swim lessons."

Forcing a laugh, Billy had felt himself grow comfortable as he leaned against the doorframe. "Not tonight, Henderson."

Alex found herself looking him over as she grew suspicious. All summer and Billy now had wanted to actively correct his wrongs. Only, Alex had always been forgiving and found herself giving a small shrug of uncertainty. "We can hang out until Max gets back, I guess."

Surprised to get the answer he had been hoping for, Billy fumbled as he had motioned for her to follow him inside. There was nothing unusual of having Alex in his house, but this had been the first time she had been there for him.

Wringing his hands nervously, he had led her to his room. Offering a hand out, he had allowed for her to enter in first and instantly he had grown embarrassed. He watched with a dry mouth as Alex had avoided stepping on his clothes and garbage that littered his floor, but what had caused his stomach to turn was when he saw the look of worry as she sat on the edge of his bed.

Attempting a laugh, Billy looked around his room, "If I knew you were coming, I would've cleaned my room a bit."

"It's fine," she said quietly. "So, no date with Mrs. Wheeler? You just look all dressed up."