𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

HAWKINS FREAKS AND QUICK FEET

☀︎

ON THE HUNT FOR EDDIE MUNSON, THE GROUP PILED THEMSELVES INTO NANCY WHEELERS CAR. Taking the way back, Steve and Alex gave up the opportunity for a proper seat for the three of Max, Lucas, and Dustin to cram together in the backseat with Robin and Nancy up front. Helping themselves to Eddie's snacks, Steve dug his hand back into the Pringles container before holding it up to Alex.

Taking the chip from his hands, she hesitantly brought it to her lips, eyeing him carefully. Turning the chip away from her mouth, she gestured over to him with narrowed eyes. "Sweater," she whispered.

Picking at his sweater, Steve pouted before looking back over at her. "Yeah, what about it?"

"It's yellow," she stated in a quiet tone before popping the chip into her mouth. "Weird how I tell you I like you in yellow and suddenly you're wearing that exact color."

"Yeah, it's yellow, don't cream your pants. I didn't do it for you," he mumbled. However, a blush formed on his cheeks as he tossed a chip at her to keep her eyes off him.  The truth was, he hoped it would catch her attention and he would get another chance to be close to her again. If only he knew it didn't take a yellow sweater to do such a thing.

Alex scoffed playfully at his embarrassment. "Then I guess it doesn't matter that I wore this just for you," she said teasingly, gesturing down to the red sweatshirt she wore. It was the very same one that Robin had clutched to her chest several nights ago, pleading with Alex to never give away because she knew it was her absolute favorite. For it to belong to anyone else besides them felt wrong.

Sneaking a glance her way, Steve watched as she smiled at him brightly. "Looks... yeah, you-you look great."

"Don't cream your pants, man," she whispered teasingly. Leaning forward she reached forward between his legs and grabbed the can of Pringles from him. "I think you look very cute today by the way," she said quietly, keeping her eyes focused on the chips.

The two felt they were walking a dangerous line, unsure where they stood in terms of their relationship. Things were starting to feel as if they were back in place, ever so lost in love and not afraid for the other to know it. Only this time, they weren't sure if they were officially back together. With a world-ending crisis laid out before them and helping a friend hide from the cops, the world felt as if it were falling apart, and worrying if they were together or not felt as if it didn't matter when in fact it mattered to them very much. Yet neither of them found the courage to do anything about it besides harmless flirting.

Looking in the rearview mirror, Robin let out a soft squeal before turning to Nancy, her hand clutching onto her chest. "Aren't they just so adorable?"

Pulling her eyes off the road, Nancy's eyes looked into the rearview mirror to spot the two in the way back. Now sitting beside one another, Alex had her arms wrapped around him with her cheek rested against his arm, listening to him as he rambled on and on about a topic Nancy only wished she could listen in on. Whatever it was made Alex blush with a warm, radiant smile that she felt was a rare sight after so long. Turning her eyes back to the road, she immediately agreed, "Incredibly." Sneaking a grinning glance at Robin, Nancy felt warm to know the two had gotten close over such a short period of time. A common goal of reuniting Steve and Alex as well as furthering the investigation of the nightmares in Hawkins brought them to this friendship she never expected. "And is there any special guy out there for you? I figured Alex would kill for a double date with you."