𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

THE BULLSHIT GAME

☀︎

MAX MAYFIELD'S MISSION TO GET TO EAST HAWKINS WAS WORKING IN HER FAVOR. Today was her only day to get her chance to say goodbye in the only way she knew how— letters. It was an easier way to share her final thoughts before leaving this world in the newest hell Hawkins faced. Arriving at her home, she promised to be quick— in and out, leaving the letters for her mom and moving on to her final goodbye.

Having nothing more to do than wait, the four sat inside Steve Harrington's car. There was a silence among them, the excitement washed away so suddenly as they were left alone to wait for Max Mayfield to return to them. Left with nothing but letters, they all could only imagine what was written inside as Max's final goodbye.

Unable to look at his any longer, Lucas was the first to tuck his away. Holding his hands in his lap, his eyes floated around the car, watching as one by one, the rest began to follow his lead and hold that goodbye for another time. Sitting back in his seat, he closed his eyes, wishing that any moment Max would come back and he could continue to share more of his life with her beside him.

Perching her elbow up onto the door, Alex rested her cheek against her fist as she looked out at the trailer park. Taking her mind off the letter was only as easy as it looked. Even without it held in her hands, it consumed her mind, being the only thing she could ever begin to think of.

She wasn't quiet as she pulled herself back into her own misery, grabbing ahold of her backpack and taking the letter out once more. At least seeing it, she could know that Max had something to say to her whether it had been words of hatred or love. The more she looked at it, the more she believed that there was nothing but vicious words and promises to never forgive her for leaving her when she needed her the most.

Cracking open his eyes, Lucas looked at her just the same as Steve and Dustin. Between the two, they never were sure how to handle Alex whether they give her the space she needs or engulf her in their arms and tell her everything will be okay. For Lucas Sinclair, he never did care to weigh out his options when his only option was not losing her. Sitting forward, he rested his hand on her shoulder, "You won't ever need to read that, you know? We're gonna save her."

Alex glanced over to him with a sad smile and nodded, but that wasn't her worry. She knew they had it in them to protect her. They always did. She was afraid that Max would hate her for the rest of her life and this letter said that very thing. Whether Max lived or died, she feared she would forever be the worst thing to happen to her. He saw her doubt immediately. "It's not going to be bad whatever she wrote. She'd never do that to you, no matter how mad she seems. Max loves you."

Alex felt her grip on the letter grow tighter because no matter what anyone could say to her, she was the one that hurt Max the most. Who was to say that what Alex did to her created such a pain inside of Max that Vecna chose her. Placing the letter back into her bag, she forced herself to bite her tongue and keep her emotions in check. "Thanks, Lucas."