𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

GET A ROOM !

☀︎

THE NEXT MORNING, DUSTIN'S USUAL WAKE UP CALL CAME WITH A POUNDING ON THE DOOR. Alex quickly went to hit the other side of her bed to tell Steve to leave, only for him to not be there. She looked over at the window to see the curtains pulled back and the window left a crack open.

"Get up, Alex! This is the most important day of my life!" Dustin screamed from the other end of the door. Today was Halloween, both the Henderson kids favorite holiday. Alex rushed out of bed, quickly throwing on clothes so she could see Dustin in his costume before she got picked up by Jonathan for school.

"I'm coming!" she called out as she ran down the hallway and into the living room.

"D! You look awesome! Holy shit!" her smile grew large seeing her brother in his Ghostbusters costume that he's been waiting to wear for so long.

"Thanks," Dustins cheeks flushed pink, their mom continuing to take pictures through their interaction.

"Wait! I need a picture with him!" she called to her mom as she ran to Dustins side. "Oh, pretend I'm Slimer!" she said excitedly as the two posed for pictures. Finally she engulfed Dustin in a hug for final pictures.

"Alex, come on!" Dustin groaned from in her embrace but made no motions to escape her grasp. He was always thankful his sister loved him so much. Even if it was overwhelming sometimes, unlike Nancy, she was one hundred percent invested in her brothers life.

A car honk came from outside their house pulling Alex's attention away from the camera, "Shit! Jonathans here! I gotta go!" she yelled, running to grab her backpack.

"Language!" her mom yelled to her while she continued Dustins photo shoot.

"Dustins mouth is worse than mine!" she yelled as she quickly brushed her teeth, hearing another honk. She quickly finished up, running towards the front door as she pulled on her jacket, "Bye guys! Love you!" she yelled before slamming the door shut behind her and ran towards the car. From inside the car, Jonathan snapped as many pictures as he could of her running to the car.

"Really? When I'm running?" she laughed, tossing her backpack in the backseat.

"You know I like to capture rare moments!"

"Oh shut up!" she grabbed the camera put of his hands and attempted to take unflattering photos of him.

"Did you do your homework?" Jonathan asked as they drove to school. When silence followed, he glanced over, giving her a quick smack to the arm. "Earth to Alex, did you do your homework?"

"Oh, no, I didn't. Barely even crossed my mind last night."

"That's okay! Me, you, library, today."

"Library? You never want to go to the library with me," she laughed lightly but didn't deny his offer. Looking over to Jonathan, she watched as he drummed his fingers against the steering wheel to the song that played through the radio. He was always so kind to her, and knew her best, but even in this moment she was too nervous to tell him about what had been going through her mind. Not that he would judge, but because he already had too much on his mind with everything Will had been going through. All she wanted was to give Jonathan a bit of normal in his life.

Looking over, Jonathan flashed her a smile that had only confirmed her need to want to protect him. Returning the smile, she leaned forward, turning up the volume as she fell back into her seat. Watching out the window, she took this as her time to accept that time with Jonathan was the only way she'd get a chance to feel normal. That's what friends were for after all.

After a short drive to school, Jonathan snatched up both of their bags to get Alex moving. Once out, he tossed her bag over into her arms causing her to back up from the sudden toss.

As she had stepped back to shut her door, she had caused the car waiting to take the spot beside Jonathan to push on the breaks. Sitting in his car, Billy Hargrove had rolled his eyes as he slammed the palm of his hand on the horn to get her attention. Surprised by the sudden noise, Alex frowned as she spotted the blue Camaro waiting to pull in. Throwing her bag over her shoulder, she made her way around the front of Jonathan's car and gave him a shove after hearing his laughter.

"Not funny," she said sternly.

"Sure," he said sarcastically. He two turned away as Billy pulled in and put his car in park. For the first time, he had been out of his car before his little sister and started heading towards the school just as Jonathan and Alex were. Walking behind them, he listened in as the two had confirmed their plans for the evening. "So, meet at the Wheelers then?" Jonathan asked her.

Alex nodded. "Tonight'll be fun, I promise. No parties, just us."

"Just us," he confirmed. Yet, behind the two, Billy had narrowed his eyes at the back of their heads as they walked. Had Alex not told him that Jonathan was anything but her boyfriend, he couldn't help but wonder why their plans had sounded more like a date. His thoughts were instantly interrupted by the sound of Nancy Wheeler calling our Alex's name.

Hopping out of Steve's car, Nancy had raised a hand in the air as she waved to the two, her smile growing as she spotted her friends. Jonathan had given Nancy a wave before turning back to Alex, "I gotta go. I'll see you later!"

Pointing a finger at him as he began to walk off, Alex grinned, "Me, you, library! It's a date!"

"You wish!" Jonathan called back.

"Change my name to Wheeler and have an impeccable jawline and then you'll fall in love with me, right?"

"Right," Jonathan said with an eye roll, "Believe what you want."

Bumping Alex hard in the arm as he passed by, Billy did not give a glance to Alex. "Get a room," he commented harshly. Surprised by the random act of rudeness, she straightened herself out in confusion. Coming up to her, Nancy sent him a glare as she called out to him in Alex's defense, "Asshole!" When Billy had ignored her, Nancy turned back to Alex, her kind nature returning as she flashed her a warm smile.