𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

FULL TOMATO !

☀︎

JONATHAN BYERS HAD PUT HIS CAR IN PARK WITH HAWKINS HIGH RIGHT BEFORE HIS EYES. Dreading today as he normally did, he had deeply sighed. Beside him, he could no longer ignore the clicks of the camera as Alex Henderson continuously snapped pictures of him. Without even looking her way, he wrapped his hand over the camera and pulled it out from her grasp.

Frowning in defeat, she reached towards the backseat for her backpack. "Are you sure we can't ditch today?"

"Why do you wanna ditch so bad?"

"I hate people," she sighed, sinking down in her seat. Ever since her and Jonathan had started becoming even closer friends, it's like everyone was shunning her more than usual, afraid to be labeled a freak as well.

"Me too but we can't ditch just because people are assholes. Give me your hand," Jonathan held out his own hand, extending hers out as well. The loud sound of music came from somewhere in the parking lot but they both decided to ignore it. Jonathan flipped her hand so her palm was facing in the air. Both exposed their old scar from when they cut their hands to lure in the demogorgon.

Jonathan traced his finger over her cut sending tingles up her arm. She hated the feeling of someone ever touching her scar. Too many bad memories would come flooding back whenever she looked at it, let alone touch it herself. She bit her bottom lip hard, trying to push away the horrible feeling.

"These scars mean we're bonded."

"That was really cheesy," she whispered, managing a laugh. However, it had made her feel better to know she had Jonathan. He was the best friend she needed— always there for her and not afraid to let her go.

"I mean, together we faced something people only see in their nightmares. If we can do that together, then some jerks in the hallway are nothing," Jonathan flashed her a smile, wanting her to see it the way he did.

There was a moment of pause as Alex stared at Jonathan's eyes. Gently, she had wrapped her fingers over his, holding onto his hand lightly. "There's something I need to tell you," she whispered. Since the night she had thrown up something she had sworn came from the Upside Down, she had felt unlike herself. Nightmares had flooded her thoughts every night and the cold— it was refreshing. Knowing they were bonded, this was the one time she wanted someone to know the truth. From what had happened in the Upside Down to what she had been experiencing every day since.

Jonathan had tightening his grip on hers as he looked into her eyes. There was a moment of fear that soon replaced with pain. He just couldn't place his finger on it.

Realization had hit Alex that there was more to telling Jonathan. If he had told his mom, there was no doubt she would have to visit Hawkins Lab just as Will Byers did. So, she managed a laugh as she dropped his hand and diverted her eyes. "I'm just glad we're friends is all. I don't know anyone else that would go through this crap like we do and still want to hang out. Oh," she directed her finger towards him. "and I'll kick Steve's ass for stealing your girl."

Jonathan pulled his hand back to his side with a laugh. Seeing her back at peace and able to lose the pain behind her eyes, he felt that maybe it had all been in his head. Grabbing her bag along with his own, he threw open his door and got out of the car. Standing tall, he waited as she soon followed after and threw her bag in her direction.

Heading into the school, the two were unaware of the eyes of Nancy Wheeler and Steve Harrington as they watched them carefully from Steve's car. Both had talked with one another just as it had been a normal day, and just as any normal day, they only talked to each other.

Pushing through a crowded hall, Alex made a look of disgust. "You know, for being such freaks, people sure don't know how to get the hell out of our way so we don't spread our freak germs."

"Beats being the new kid," Jonathan mumbled. He nodded his head down the hall at the new kid standing at his locker. Every person that had passed him had kept their eyes on him, most likely trying to understand him without actually having to speak to him.

"He looks like an asshole but..."

"Don't say he's cute or anything else gross," Jonathan grumbled, making her walk down a new hallway, away from the new kid.

"So are only you allowed to move on?" she asked with a laugh. She had no actual intention of trying to start dating the new kid but she knew it was the best way to tease Jonathan. "Come on, we can add a new member to our little group here."

"You're annoying," he stated with a smile, stopping at his locker. "Are you still coming with me to take the boys trick or treating?"

"Depends. Are we dressing up?"

"Dressing up?" Jonathan asked with slight disgust, "Do we have to?" The very last thing he had wanted to do was dress up. Taking Will trick or treating with his friends had already felt as if it were too much. All he had wanted was time spent at home with Alex, or even alone.

"If anyone asks, we can just say we're traumatized teenagers stuck babysitting."

"That sounds much better than anything else I thought you'd say," he grinned with relief. Adjusting the bag on his shoulder, he motioned for them to continue on over to her locker next. Both had begun to walk in the direction of her locker. However, moments later, the new kid had shoved his way right between them, seeming to be on his own schedule.

"What an asshole," Alex stated with a roll of her eyes. Hearing her every word, the new kid turned his head just in time to meet her eyes. Growing red with embarrassment, the heat of her cheeks became unbearable. The moment he had turned back around, Jonathan released a bubble of laughter that had built up. "Jeez, embarrassed much?"

Her breathing had begun to pick up as she grew hot. Waving her hand towards her face, she forced out a laugh. "Yeah, what the hell? I went full tomato."

Taking his hand, Jonathan began waving his hand to cool her off as well. Only, he had not realized that the small amount of heat had only felt as if it were burning away at her skin.