𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

PROMISE ME

☀︎

SATURDAY WAS THE BUSIEST DAY FOR FAMILY VIDEO. Robin and Steve had been working harder than any other day of the week as they prepared for the influx of customers that stopped by as they kept their own personal conversations rolling. Robin was one that couldn't ever stop talking which was understandable. She had more to say than anybody else and after a whole night of stories, she was practically bouncing off the walls with excitement.

First, she started with her heart bursting with affection towards Vickie because she had done the unthinkable— she made her laugh. Reliving it over again had her clutch the movies she held to her chest. "And then Vickie laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either. It was like..." She let out a sharp breath of air when she finally set the movies down on the shelf. "It was real," she swooned. "It was a real, genuine laugh."

"Of course she laughed, Robin. It's my Muppet joke. It's hilarious," he said plainly.

Coming to the other side of the shelf, she felt disappointed in his lack of excitement for her. Maybe it had been all the times she ignored him and his sexual adventures, but she felt she deserved this one chance at finally getting to tell her own story. Hers may have not been as steamy or filled with lustful touching, but it was something to her. It made her feel alive. "My point is that I made Vickie laugh and everything, it was just like... it was perfect."

Steve anticipated more when he glanced at her. "But?"

Pursing her lips together in defeat, she let her arms fall to her side. "But I'm having this problem where it's like, I should stop talking. I have said everything I need to say. But then I guess I get nervous, and the words keep spilling out, and it's like my brain is moving faster than my mouth, or-or rather my mouth is moving faster than my brain. And it's like I'm digging this hole for myself, and I want to stop digging, I'm trying to stop digging, but I can't. And I'm doing it right now, aren't I?"

Her fast-talking, jumbled-up words came to a stop as she came up for a breath of air. Robin had turned her back to Steve as she finally let it be silent for just a meer second then just like that, her brain had picked up the pace and kicked into overdrive as more words spilled from her mouth before she could think it through. "It's not fair, you know? I-I mean, I talked to Alex about this last night and she... she told me Vickie would like me for my quirks. Which is fine, but what if this is the one quirk that turns her away, right? But then again, I couldn't stop talking to Alex, and boom, it was like old times again. That easy. She appreciated the rambling and constant jabber."

With her back turned, Robin had continued on about the night spent with Alex Henderson. It had meant so much to her that she failed to consider Steve's feelings on the matter. She had been focused on talking about her issues with Vickie and sharing Alex's opinions that she couldn't stop and think.