𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

IT WAS WORTH A SHOT !

☀︎

DUSTIN AND ALEX EACH HAD PLANS FOR THE NIGHT BUT NEITHER WANTED TO ADMIT WHAT. In Dustin's room, it had been silent between the two as Alex tapped on his turtle's tank. "Don't tap," he instructed.

"Don't tap," she mocked back with much more attitude. In return for his demand, she had tapped several more times before he shoved her away. "Can't you stay home tonight?" All she had wanted was for Dustin to claim to need her for the evening so she could skip out on going to Steve's. Being around Tommy had felt exhausting and Carol was at least a bit more bearable but often when Tommy would encourage her, she'd be just as exhausting.

"Can't. Going to Mike's so we can talk to Eleven." She had been the girl with the buzzed hair caught in the rain. Slowly Eleven had been warming up to the boys, allowing them to start to get some answers. "You should come with. It'll be fun."

"Yeah but then Nancy's gonna make me go with her."

"To Steve's," Dustin scoffed, taking a seat down beside her. "He's really more important than the party? You're already gonna get yourself kicked out if you choose douchebag over us!"

Laying down completely on his bed, Alex watched the ceiling as a plan had formulated in her mind. "I'm going to choke myself at dinner." Wrapping her hands around her neck, she sighed loudly in defeat. "I'm going to pretend to choke on food, then hold my breath until I pass out and die."

Reaching behind him, Dustin had grabbed a pillow just before smacking it down hard on Alex's face. "Why pretend when it'd be more fun to do?"

Sending him a glare, she shoved the pillow back towards him. Only the pillow had been launched back across the floor, hitting the family cat, Mews on its way down. After a loud meow, the cat scurried out of the room and both of the Hendersons had stopped fighting with one another long enough to anticipate their mother yelling at them for the distressed cat.

『••☀︎••』

IT HADN'T BEEN LONG WHEN BARB HAD ARRIVED FOR DINNER. The table was quiet as they all ate their food. Dustin had tried to eat as quickly as possible, hoping that the sooner he finished, the sooner he could leave. However, Barb and Alex had taken a different approach. Both had eaten as slow as possible, pushing off Steve's party as much as they could.

When Barb had finished, she regretfully placed her fork down as her eyes shifted across the table. Alex and Dustin's mom had been pestering her with questions about school life, to love life to keep the conversation light. Barb hated it because all she had wanted to discuss was her annoyance with Nancy and hatred for Steve Harrington. But talking bad about Steve would not be taken well by Mrs. Henderson given she enjoyed his company more than anyone of their friends.