𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

THE PERFECT GIRL

☀︎

MARCH 1986

DEAR ALEX,

It's almost spring break and I still haven't heard from you. I thought at first my letters weren't getting through but then you stopped answering my calls. I hope you're not too busy so maybe one day I can see you. Take a break from Steve and pay your old friend a visit. I think you'd like it here in California.

I got this one friend— Argyle.

I know I mentioned him before but he wants to meet you and I think you'd like him. He's sort of my only friend here, but we already know what that's like. Don't think I'm replacing you though. You're still my best friend and I guess I did end up missing you annoying me like you said.

My mom is doing good. She doesn't say it, but she misses Hawkins. I know you haven't called her either and she thinks she bothers when she calls you. Will, too. He already used the paint set you sent him for his birthday. El told me she's been writing to you too. I don't know if you've gotten any of those either.

Don't tell anyone, but I have this secret. Nancy and I were supposed to go to Emerson together, but I don't think that's what I want. I hate to do this to you, but I applied at Lenora Community College and got accepted. I know we wanted to go to college together too but Argyle is going there and I don't think it'd be so bad. I wouldn't have to leave my mom and Will behind. I thought maybe you would've told me to go to Lenora and do what was best for me. By the way that it's been going, I'm not sure you would say that anymore. I'm not sure you'd say anything now.

I just want to know you're doing okay. The last time we spoke... you seemed distant. I don't know if it's because we're so far apart now. I'm hoping it's not that. You promised no matter how far apart we ever were, we wouldn't stop being friends. I hope you still think that way.

If you can come to California soon, please do. Maybe catch that flight with Mike.

FROM JONATHAN

☀︎

THINGS HAVE CHANGED FOR THE SMALL GROUP IN HAWKINS, INDIANA. Nothing was the same as it once was. In a way that had made sense. The events of last summer had been enough to change anyone. And that's exactly what it did. For some, it was easier, for others, it was very hard.

Early in the morning, Claudia Henderson had politely knocked on Alex's door just as she did every morning. It was a warning that Alex had only a few minutes left to be ready before she had to leave for school.