𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐱

LET HIM DOWN EASY !

☀︎

EVERYONE PACED AROUND INSIDE THE BYERS HOUSE, TRYING TO CONNECT EVERYONES SIDE OF THE STORY THE BEST THEY COULD. Even with everyones information, no one had a clue what was actually going on or what the monster in the sky had wanted with innocent kids. It just seemed like one big mess that they weren't going to be able to get themselves out of.

Alex eventually grew tired of walking from one room to the other and found herself make her way into the kitchen where Steve and the rest of the kids sat quietly. She leaned up against the counter next to Steve, handing him back his jacket.

"Joyce let me borrow her clothes," she said quietly. The last thing she had wanted was to stir up any more drama between him and Nancy all because she had worn his jacket. After the comments Nancy had made before about Steve and Alex's close relationship, she was always cautious not to step on her toes. Tonight didn't change that.

He gave her a soft smile, slipping his jacket back on. Neither knew why now out of this whole adventure why they felt so distant from one another. Alex stood there hoping he'd say something but everything remained silent between the two. Unable to take the awkward silence, Alex had pushed herself off the counter with a soft sigh before heading back to the living room.

Nancy had been sitting on the couch by herself now with her head buried in her hands. Alex had taken a seat next to her, causing her to lift up her head with a forced smile. "Hey," she whispered. "I'm really sorry Jonathan and I didn't tell you where we were going. I-I wanted to but you seemed so out of it lately and I didn't want to drag you back into the mess."

Alex gave a small nod of understanding, yet it still hurt her. "Messes always find us," she said with a small laugh. "You know, a monster in your head sort of makes you seem out of it."

"Alex," she began gently, but Alex had shook her head to stop her from talking.

"Seriously, Nance, I'm not mad. No one could've guessed it and I was too scared to tell anyone. It took a lot to even tell Steve and Dustin."

"Well, you two seemed to handle the kids well," she said softly. "You two really do make a good team."

"I don't want you to think theres anything going on with us..." Alex said nervously. The last thing she wanted was for Nancy to be mad that she spent all this time with Steve. Alex wasn't even entirely sure they were broken up yet and it seemed like Steve didn't know either.

"Hey, don't worry about it. I think it's for the best anyways. You two have always been perfect with each other and Jonathan and I..." her voice had trailed off as she looked to Alex. "Maybe I just didn't see it at first. I always assumed you two liked each other, but then Jonathan kissed me and..."

"He did?"

Nancy turned her head away and buried her head back into her hands. "I don't even know if Steve and I officially broke up yet."