𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲

Start from the beginning

Mike's comment had broken all the stress building up inside the car, allowing all of them to at the very least crack a smile and find some laughter. The only person who had not found it the least bit amusing had been Alex. "What does that even mean?" She yelled out.

Hearing Alex yelling, Steve had started to slip from his groggy state as he became more aware of what had been going on around him. Blinking away the blurred vision, he had picked himself up off Dustin as he looked around the car.

Feeling him move under her, Alex had turned to him in fear. "Oh my god, Steve, you're awake," she sighed in relief. Still attempting to process everything, Steve had felt as she had turned back to the drivers seat, yelling at Lucas. When she had made a move to climb over and take over herself, he had grabbed onto her waist to keep her steady.

Unable to take Alex's persistent need to defuse the situation he saw as handled, Lucas began to swat her with the map until she had given up and sat back on Steve's lap. Taking one hand off her waist, Steve had reached up, feeling a stinging pain spreading across his face. However, when he had reached for it, Dustin had slowly pulled back his hand.

"Hey, mom," Dustin said softly, "Shh... it's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a fight."

At the mention of another parent, Alex had looked to her brother in annoyance. "Dustin, shut up," she whispered.

Looking over to Mike, Steve had started to take notice of the container of gasoline. "What's going on?" Meeting Alex's eyes for answers, he had suddenly realized what had happened to her face. With his mouth agape, he had slowly extended his out until he placed his hand on her cheek. "What happened to you?"

Pacing her hand on his, she had gently pulled it off. "Don't worry about it. You should look at yourself."

Nodding his head, he let his hand settle in hers as he took in what was really going on around them. It didn't take long for it to dawn on him the plan the kids had been putting together earlier was now in affect. Looking over Alex's shoulder, he had seen Lucas holding up a map as he called out directions once again, and with a look over her other shoulder, he could barely see the top of Max's head as she sat in the drivers seat.

"Oh my god," he mumbled as he started to sit forward.

Pushing him back down gently, Dustin had tried to remain calm. "Relax, she's driven before."

Sitting up, Mike interjected immediately. "Yeah, in a parking lot."

"That counts!" Dustin defended. It had only begun a battle between both Dustin and Mike on what experience counted for Max to be behind the wheel. On the other hand, Alex had let go of Steve's hand and held onto each of the front seats. The road ahead of them had whipped by as Max picked up speed, only making her sick to her stomach. Closing her eyes, she had swayed side to side with the car as Steve had began to panic.

"They wanted to leave you two behind," Dustin said calmly. Resting his hand on Alex's shoulder, he had tried to comfort her, but she had swatted him away immediately. "Hey, I promised that you guys would be cool, okay?"

"This is so not cool, Dustin," Alex called back to him.

Sending that their drive would come to an end soon if it had been up to Alex and Steve, Max had pressed harder on the gas. Feeling the car pick up speed, Steve's hands shot out as he grabbed Alex once again on the waist. "Oh my god! Whoa! Stop the car!"

"I told you they'd freak out!" Mike called over Steve.

"Oh, who cares! Bring them or leave them, they're grounding us!" Dustin screamed back.