𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

Still, Dustin's plans to leave and Steve's love life were both put on hold at the sound of Dustin's name being called. Each of the boys had turned down the street to see Alex slowing down her run as she approached. She had been drenched in sweat, growing red in the face, and in clear pain.

Dustin had seen right through that as he was more excited to see more help had arrived for himself. "Alex!" 

Standing before her brother, Alex had hunched over with her hands on her knees as she tried to catch her breath. "I need Nancy," she breathed out.

Losing his smile, Dustin had looked at the two before him. "Seriously? I'm the one in the crisis and you two are here for Nancy. She's not even here."

"Son of a bitch," Alex whispered. Standing tall, she made her way over to Steve's car, leaning her back against it, taking in the coldness as a way of relaxing. "I ran all the way from the Byers."

"No ones picking up there," Dustin frowned.

"Don't worry about it. Bob's over," she said with a wave of her hand. "I ran over here for nothing."

An offended look had instantly popped onto Dustin's face. He shoved the bouquet of roses into Alex's chest, pushing her further up against the car. "Not nothing," he corrected. "I need your help with something at home. Do you still have your bat?"

"Whoa, you asked for my help first, and yeah, I have my bat if that counts for anything," Steve spoke up. He was willing to put his own problems on hold especially now that Alex had arrived.

"Sure, Steve, I guess you can still help," Dustin mumbled.

"Okay, but what are the flowers for?" Alex questioned. For a moment, she feared that flowers and a bat would lead to something dangerous— possibly even the thought of threatening Max with a bat if she didn't accept his flowers. Thankfully, that wasn't the case.

"They're from Steve," Dustin commented. Opening the back door of Steve's car, he slid right in and slammed the door shut to speed along the process. This had left the two awkwardly looking at one another.

Feeling the strange tension, Steve had hoped to fix the problem rather than embarrass himself in front of Dustin. "They were, uh, for Nance. I was gonna..."

"I really don't need the details," she said as the flowers lowered to her side. "Sorry Dustin interrupted your plan to win her back." Taking the flowers, she gently tossed it in his direction for him to catch. Turning back to the car, she pulled open the passenger side door just before his hand had laid on it, shutting it when she had only managed to open it a crack.

"Hey, we still didn't talk," he said gently. "I've been calling you nonstop and now," he looked down to her clothes in confusion. She had been in her jeans and a tanktop, yet still looked as if it were a hot summers day. "It was raining and you're running around Hawkins like that.

"I know," she whispered, nervously wrapping her arms around herself. "Steve, now might not be the best time. "I've been wanting to tell you but it's not normal and I can't drag you into it too."

"You can tell me. I could give a crap about normal," he said softly. He had taken a step closer to her, hoping she would see that she was allowed to be comfortable and open around him. It's all he wanted for them and instead, he felt he was losing her. "You know, you told me you were going to the nurse yesterday and you'd call. I already know Billy drove you after you wouldn't let me, so," Pausing, he looked away from her, already feeling his heart sinking. "So, yeah, you don't gotta lie to me about that too."