𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

Nancy gave a small smile in response, not really in a joking mood so the two went back to work. As they studied, Steve couldn't stop himself from glancing over at his other two friends constantly. Jealousy grew through him as he watched as Alex playfully tossed a crumpled piece of paper at Jonathan, which he had sent right back in her direction.

His cheeks began to heat up as he felt aggravated over something that had seemed so small. Rather than sit in silence with this feeling, he decided it was best to find out information for himself. "Hey Nance, do you think those two are... you know..."

She glanced back towards the two with him, watching as Jonathan leaned forward to repeatedly tap Alex's packet to get her to focus while she leaned back in her seat in defeat. Nancy wasn't sure what had been going on between the two. As she had grown closer to them, she still felt that there was so much more to try and understand. Scrunching up her nose, she tilted her head in wonder. "What? Dating? No, I mean... they would've told us."

"But would they?" Steve asked, one eyebrow raised in suspicion.

"I think they're just best friends," Nancy shrugged her shoulders despite her own jealousy growing. It had felt as if it was the most reasonable conclusion, and if she was wrong, she was sure she would find out if they did manage to show up to the Halloween party tonight or not.

"Uh, I thought I was her best friend?" Steve said defensively.

"Come on, Steve," Nancy cocked an eyebrow at him, "They hang out more than we even hang out. No offense but you two aren't as close as you used to be."

"Whatever. I don't care," he claimed, focusing back on his work, trying to ignore the two that sat not too far away. Still, he tapped his pencil repeatedly on the table as he reread the same sentence over and over while his mind had ran over every scenario of Alex and Jonathan being something more than he ever expected.

Several minutes had went by, complete silence from the entire library as it should. Everyone was finally focused on their own work, the only stress seemed to be about school and not the monster that hid in the dark or who had been dating who. They were all so hard at work, no one even cared to take notice when the library door opened up.

Walking in, Billy Hargrove had decided whether or not he should take his time and walk through the shelves of books before doing what he had planned. But when he had spotted Alex biting her bottom lip, brows furrowed in concentration as she read over her textbook, he felt the confidence in him enough to disrupt her peace. Grabbing the nearest chair, he dragged it over, causing all eyes to turn to him from the noise of the scrapes against the hardwood floor.

His eyes had only been on Alex as he made his way over, and placed his chair at the end of the table. Taking a seat, he leaned back as he pulled an orange flyer out of his jacket, unfolding it and placing it on the table before Alex. "You going to this?" he asked, sliding it her way.

Seeing the flyer, she slide it back in his direction. "Um, no. I have plans," she said quietly.

"I see, you got plans with your boyfriend." Billy nodded his head in the direction of Jonathan but didn't bother looking at him. Alex had his full attention and wanted to hear it from her. However, Jonathan did not want it to get around the school that he had been dating Alex.

"Not her boyfriend and... she's actually free tonight," Jonathan said, causing Billy to look his way for a brief moment.

"Oh, really?" Billy looked back over at Alex, questioning her. A smirk had begun to grow as he watched the panic in Alex's eyes.

"Jonathan!" Alex exclaimed, shocked he would just say she wasn't busy despite their plans.

"Your boyfriend says you're free. Come to the party. I'll be there." Billy stood up, leaving the chair in its spot. Picking up the flyer, he shoved it into his pocket as he spotted Steve Harrington looking over in curiosity. Smile growing, he sent him a wink that caused Steve's blood to boil in an instant. Leaving the library, Billy Hargrove had done what he had wanted as well as leave a few angry.

Leaning forward, Alex's face had grown red with embarrassment. "Why would you say I'm not busy? We're hanging out."

"I know but we could always hang out tomorrow or something," Jonathan said hopefully. He had fought back a smile that he knew would cause Alex to be more furious with him than she was already.

"Why can't we keep the plans we already have?"

"We both said we'd try and move on. Obviously Nancy and Steve aren't breaking up anytime soon, it's not fair that we sit around being all sad. I don't know but from how I've seen Billy act around other girls... he seems like he might be interested," Jonathan attempt an innocent smile even though Alex had a death glare set on him.

"Yeah, I'll move on... but Billy? He's an asshole. Have you heard the things he says about other girls here?" Sitting back in her seat, she crossed her arms and let out a defeated sigh. "I heard him call all the girls here cows when he was talking to Tommy."

"He could change! Besides, he's the only other guy in this school besides me that actually talks to you," Jonathan said quietly, not wanting to make her too upset. "And we've made it really clear we are not interested in each other."

She was quiet as she had kept her eyes on Jonathan, debating on if his whole plan was worth it or not. It hadn't seemed fair if she wasn't able to pick the guy, but he always did know what was best for her in the end. "Fine. But I'm only going after trick or treating. I can't completely ditch you," she pointed a finger at him to make sure he got what she was saying. He smiled happily and nodded his head. It wasn't their ideal Halloween night, but maybe this could be the change that was needed.