daylight

She sat by the bar idly playing with the thin black straw delicately placed in her Cape Cod. Her green eyes followed the motion of the small ice cubes in her drink as she swirled them around. It was about the most captivating thing she could find that night. From the corner of her eye she could see one of her past sexual escapades wave at her to catch her attention; she politely turned around and grinned at the blonde who in turn giggled and buried her face in her friend's shoulder with embarrassment.

"I don't know how you do it Lauren."

"It's a curse." She responded to her friend Harry who was bartending. She'd met him in college and the two had shared an apartment for about a year before he'd moved out on his own to the apartment across from hers.

"You say that." He said with a grin. "But you always come back for more." He finished as she reached for a glass to serve a couple that had taken a seat by Lauren. She shrugged and raised her drink to her lips. She gulped as much as she could tolerate and winced as she felt the warmth from the alcohol slowly make its way down her throat.

"That's not why I come here." she said evasively as she watched him bounce around the bar to serve some other people that had arrived right after the couple next to her. She rolled her eyes; of course she'd picked the worst place to be when looking for some semblance of peace. Tuesdays were never a busy day in the club, but unfortunately it gradually began to get packed. It was New York after all.

"I should have just stayed home," she mumbled under her breath.

Everywhere she looked she was met with curious or lustful gazes directed her way. It was something she was used to given her reputation, but it didn't mean it was something she was particularly proud of. Yes, she enjoyed wooing girls and seeing just how many of them would fall for her, but it wasn't about the sex. It was always about the amount of girls she was with as opposed to the actual act or pleasure.

"Hey Harry." she called as she raised her glass.

"That was quick." He said, referencing how fast she finished it

"I have to use the bathroom." she said while reaching forward enough to stop him from pouring anything. "When I get back." She explained.

The short walk to the bathroom wasn't as short as she'd hoped it would be. It was thanks to a nonstop string of girls that she couldn't for the life of her remember; most likely due to the inebriated state she must have been in when she'd met them. One girl in particular had stopped her and immediately started toying with her hair. She complimented how soft it felt and mentioned that she loved her new haircut. Lauren nodded uncomfortably at the memory of spring break as she did her best to politely move away from her. She ran a frustrated hand through her long black hair and managed to walk around the sea of people pointlessly standing by the bathroom door.

She raised a hand to greet a guy that she recalled meeting about a week earlier as she absentmindedly reached for the door handle to the bathroom with her other. She was met with a warm hand instead of the cold metal of the handle. Her head snapped towards the direction of the door as she looked at the figure beside her. It was a short brunette. She wore a small smile on her face as Lauren took in her features.

"Sorry. I didn't notice you were reaching for it too." The shorter girl said shyly. Lauren nodded softly and found herself forced to smile in return. There was something about the twinkle in her eye that made her feel at ease.

"That's fine, neither did I." She replied casually. Her eyebrows furrowed when she heard a giggle from the girl. She noticed she was looking at the door and saw that her hand was still in place over hers. She pulled back with a sheepish grin. She blinked surprised at her own reaction to this girl; she was rarely ever shy or reserved. As the brunette opened the door, Lauren instinctively held it for her and gestured with her hand towards the inside. She understood and walked in first.