Chapter 94

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

Two Months Later

His hands were wrapped around my neck choking the life out of me. I remember the look in his eyes as he tried to take my life. I remember struggling and reaching for that knife. I grabbed it just in time and stabbed him wherever I could getting him to loosen his grip on me. I slid from underneath him and stood up. I dropped the knife as blood spilled from his body. He lay face down in a pool of his own blood as I had taken his life to save mine.

I woke up in a panic in a light sweat. I sat up in bed and looked around as I placed my hand to my chest trying to steady my breathing.

Caleb was fast asleep beside me as I quietly got out of bed.

I grabbed my robe and slipped it on. I walked out of the bedroom and went into the next room.

I walked into my baby girl's nursery to check on her.

I walked up to her crib and saw my daughter sleeping.

I wanted to pick her up just to hold her close to me and make sure she was safe.

I reached into the crib but before I grabbed her I heard Caleb's voice.

"Don't wake her," he said as he came up behind me.

He wrapped his arms around me from behind and I moved my hands out of the crib.

"I thought you were sleeping," I said as I just watched Cecilia sleep.

"I was but I can feel when you aren't next to me. I saw you walk out of the bedroom. Are you having trouble falling asleep?" he asked.

"I'm fine. I just wanted to check on my little bean," I said.

"Zoey she's fine. But you are no good to her if you don't take care of yourself. Do you need one of your pills?" Caleb asked.

"I don't want a damn pill Caleb," I said irritated as I pushed his hands off me.

"Zoey those pills are meant to help you? You know you function better with them," Caleb said.

Since everything that happened with Stewart I had suffered from severe anxiety and PTSD. I also had a lot of trouble sleeping through the night. I had gone back to seeing my therapist and even my regular medical doctor. I had been put on an antidepressant medication that helped with my mood and sleeping. It made me numb and more tolerable as a person in my opinion. It was really just a mask hiding my pain, my suffering, and my flashes from the day I killed Stewart.

"No I'm just better for you to manage when I take those things! I hate those pills! They make me feel like I'm in the wrong for feeling the way I feel! I almost died! I killed a man I trusted! I killed someone right in front of my little girl! She's probably traumatized!" I said.

"Zoey you know none of the babies in the NICU saw what happened. They were all in incubators unaware of Stewart or you. I know you harbor gilt from defending yourself but it was either you or him. You did nothing wrong! It was self-defense and the judge even ruled that! If it was anything other than that you would be behind bars right now," Caleb said.

"Your mother and father pulled strings and I know it's because you asked them to," I said.

"Zoey the law is the law and everyone knew you were the victim. I didn't have to ask my parents for anything because they saw just like Livingston's whole family saw the facts!" Caleb said.

Everything that happened had been caught on camera. They saw Livingston come into the NICU unauthorized and come at me with a knife. They saw our struggle and when I stabbed him in self-defense.