Chapter 71

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Zoey P.O.V.

I knocked on the door to Stewart's condo. It had been a couple weeks since all the drama with him hitting me and getting the results of the DNA test. Now that we'd all had time to take a breath and let the dust settle. I was up for seeing Stewart one on one and talking about how we'd move forward to raise this child.

He had invited me over to his condo and said he'd cook me dinner. So I came over after work.

The door opened and Stewart stood there in a t-shirt and jeans. He looked so casual and relaxed.

"Hey you're just in time. I just finished everything," he said.

"Great. I'm starving," I said.

I walked in and Stewart closed the door behind me.

"I'm glad you agreed to dinner. You look good," he said.

"Thanks. I'm just going to go wash my hands," I said.

I put my bag down on the counter and headed back to Stewart's bedroom.

I knew my way around his condo well.

I walked into the bedroom and instantly remembered the nights we'd shared in his bed. I still had clothes of mine in here that occupied his drawer and closet space.

I never got the chance to pack my things up from here.

I went into the bathroom and washed my hands.

When I was finished I walked back out to join Stewart at the dinner table.

I sat down across from him as he had the food on plates ready for us to enjoy.

This was the side of Stewart I liked. The side I knew. The side I didn't mind raising a child with.

Stewart was a good cook. He'd cooked me dinner many night in the six months we'd had our affair.

He was real husband material and I knew it.

But there was just always something so surreal about him... like he'd always been too perfect.

Maybe that's why I had an affair with him.

Stewart was always so sweet and caring during the months we had sneaked around.

It wasn't until things ended between us that I even saw the aggressive angry side of his personality.

With Caleb I got to see his flaws first and then he changed.

So it was never a perfect situation with him. It was always real.

I guess that's what I was looking for when I started up that affair with Stewart. I had just wanted an escape from the struggles of being with a recovering addict.

I should have been stronger for Caleb but I had been weak.

Stewart and I started eating and I thanked him for cooking me dinner tonight.

He had made us roasted chicken with vegetables and a side salad.

The food was delicious and for dessert we had cheesecake.

After finishing dinner I washed the dishes with Stewart then we went to relax on the couch.

I put my feet in his lap and he rubbed them for me.

It felt so good to just relax and decompress from the day.

"You know this is how our life together would be if you moved back in permanently," Stewart said as he rubbed my feet nice and slow.