Chapter 58

Copyright © 2019 Nicole Mckoy

Caleb P.O.V.

I had fought the urge to relapse and use. But to keep myself on the right track I went to an afternoon sober group meeting at the treatment facility I had been going to for the past six months.

When I arrived I sat in the back because I got there as the meeting was underway.

Some guy was at the front talking about an accident he'd caused during being under the influence.

As I sat listening to the guy I started feeling antsy.

I got up needing to get some air.

I walked out of the room and stepped outside onto the patio.

As I stepped outside and took a deep breath I saw a familiar face sitting outside on the bench.

I walked over and sat down beside her.

"Hey stranger," I said.

Olivia looked up and gave me a half smile.

She seemed distant. Like she had a lot on her mind.

"Hey," she said quietly.

"Everything ok?" I asked.

"I made it to the one year mark..." she said showing me her sober chip.

"Congrats... that's amazing Olivia," I said.

"Yeah... I just hate that it took me so long to get here. I think of all the time I wasted being selfish and drinking my problems away," she said.

"Olivia you went through a lot as a kid. You had to heal in your own time. You should be proud you came out on the other side... don't punish yourself for how long it took you to get help. Be glad you got help and stuck to being sober," I said trying to be encouraging.

"Thanks... so how are you?" she asked.

"I've been going through it for the past twenty four hours..." I said.

"Really? What's going on?" she asked.

"I wanted to get a hit so bad... I went all around town searching for coke... I wanted an escape... but I gathered what little strength I had and didn't relapse. It took everything in me not to relapse," I said.

"Why didn't you call me? We said we'd always be here for each other if either of us wanted to fall off the wagon?" Olivia said.

"I didn't know if you really meant that... besides in the moment I didn't really want to be talked down if I'm being honest. I was ready to throw the last six months of sobriety out the window for that temporary high a line of coke would have given me," I said being honest.

"Well I'm glad you didn't relapse," Olivia said.

"I am too. It wouldn't have been worth it," I said.

"You wanna get out of here? Go get something to eat. I'm not really up for going back into that meeting," Olivia said.

"Sure. I'll drive," I said.

Olivia and I left the facility and I drove us to a burger place.

I wasn't really hungry but going to eat with her beat having to go back to my place and watch Zoey pack her things.

When Olivia and I got to the burger place we ordered burgers with fries and milkshakes.

We sat down in a booth and started to eat and talk.